Re: [Videolib] Recommended East Indian Films

Leila McCullough (leila@frif.com)
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:53:41 -0500

Hello Steve,

At First Run / Icarus Films, we have a great new title called I FOR INDIA.
It is about a family emigrating from India to England in the second half of
the twentieth century and has a lot of footage (both vintage and
contemporary) of both India and England:

In 1965 Yash Pal Suri, a young doctor, left India for the U.K. with hopes of
improving his family's life. Over the next forty years, through regular
mailings of his Super8 films and taped thoughts and observations, he shared
his new life abroad with family members back home, providing a unique record
of the eccentricities-and occasional racism-of his new English hosts. Back
in India, his relatives, in turn, responded with their own Super8
"cine-letters," sending tales of weddings, festivals and village life, along
with impassioned pleas for his return.

By the end of the film, I FOR INDIA becomes not only a bittersweet time
capsule of cultural alienation, discovery, racism and belonging, but also a
contemporary exploration of universal, emotionally compelling themes of
family separation and the quest for personal happiness, wherever it may take
you.

You can find more information on it on our website:
http://frif.com/new2007/i.html

Leila

Leila McCullough
Publicity Assistant