RE: [Videolib] DVD security systems

Benjamin Sprague (Sprague@riponlibrary.org)
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:01:32 -0600

Hello,

Our public library just finished a switch to the Red Tag system apparently marketed by 3M (we found the best prices from http://www.digitaldogpound.com). Previously, we had shelved the discs in hanging files behind the circulation desk. As our DVD collection approaches 2,000 discs, we were rapidly running out of room. The total cost to convert to the Red Tag system for our collection was around $3,000. It is much faster than retrieving the discs at checkout, works with our existing 3M security gate, and seems to be working well so far from both patron and staff viewpoints.

Benjamin D. Sprague
-------------------
ILL & Circulation Supervisor
Ripon Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Claire Rasmussen
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:13 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] DVD security systems

Hello All,
What security systems do you use for your DVD collections?

The system we use currently is no longer manufactured. The 2 I have looked at most seriously so far are:
Nexpak DVD Security Strips
Clear-vu Security Cases

Please let me know what system you use, especially if you're happy with it or very unhappy with it. Also, specific reviews of the above 2 systems are especially welcome.

Thanks,

Claire E. Rasmussen
Reference and Media Librarian
MATC Truax Library