Re: [Videolib] Copies of Videos for reserve

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:17:41 -0500

--B_3279280665_119154895

I hate to be the spoilsport but there are NO factors for illegal copies. If
the item is not a legal copy ( as these appear not to be and I am guessing
they don=B9t look pre-recorded) you should not touch them. There is the off
air exception but that lasts I think 30 days so not gonna work.

Every single section of 106-110 of the copyright code refers to legal
copies.

On 11/30/07 2:01 PM, "Shostack,Pauline" <shostacp@sunyocc.edu> wrote:

> Greetings Everyone,
> =20
> This is my first post to the list, so I apologize if I am asking a very b=
asic
> question.
> =20
> We recently had an instructor bring us a couple videos in VHS format. One=
is a
> copy of a hallmark channel movie from the 80s and the other is a copy of =
> feature film from the 80s. She would like these placed on traditional in-=
house
> reserve that would be available to students for in room use during the sp=
ring
> semester. Our preliminary research shows that these are not available for
> purchase.=20
> =20
> What do I need to consider when determining if these can be placed on res=
erve?
> Is it the four factors that I consider for our traditional paper-based re=
serve
> items and/or something else?
> =20
> Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
> =20
> Pauline
> *******************
> Pauline Lynch Shostack
> Electronic Resources Librarian
> Onondaga Community College
> Syracuse, NY 13215
> Phone: 315-498-2708
> ********************
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3279280665_119154895

Re: [Videolib] Copies of Videos for reserve I hat= e to be the spoilsport but there are NO factors for illegal copies. If the i= tem is not a legal copy ( as these appear not to be and I am guessing
they don’t look pre-recorded) you should not touch them. There is the= off air exception but that lasts I think 30 days so  not gonna work.
Every single section of 106-110 of the copyright code refers to legal copie= s.

This is my first post to the list, so I apologize= if I am asking a very basic question.

We recently had an instructor bring us a couple v= ideos in VHS format. One is a copy of a hallmark channel movie from the 80s = and the other is a copy of a feature film from the 80s. She would like these= placed on traditional in-house reserve that would be available to students = for in room use during the spring semester. Our preliminary research shows t= hat these are not available for purchase.