RE: [Videolib] need back up on copyright question

Pat Cassella (patc@vbrick.com)
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:34:27 -0500

Relative to a portion of the VHS asset:

Section 112(f) of the Teach Act:

Eligible transmitting institutions may make copies of digital works and
digitize portions of analog works in order to make the performances and
displays authorized by Section 110(2) provided that:
the copies are retained by the institution and used only for the
authorized transmission; and
the need to digitize a portion of the analog work exists because there
is no digital version of the work or the existing digital version
incorporates technological protection measures that prohibit its use as
authorized by Section 110(2).

I have the full Teach Act PPT in case others are interested (email me).
The PPT is courtesy of one of our legal advisors - Kenneth Salomon of
Dow, Lohnes & Albertson PLLC.

Pat

Pat Cassella
Vice President, Educational Markets