Re: [Videolib] need back up on copyright question

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:32:43 -0500

--B_3279180764_113188174

I am pretty sure you won=B9t find the exact words you can=B9t duplicate a VHS
to DVD in the copyright law
What you will find in section 106 is that duplication/reproduction ( whic=
is what you are doing ) is a right exclusively reserved to the copyright
holder.
The only exception to the above involves making a copy of deteriorating
work but said work must stay exclusively on the library
Premise and is subject to the restrictions in 108 in terms of conditions to
be met for legally doing it.
By the same token you can=B9t scan a copyrighted book and put the the disc i=
your collection or simply dub an extra copy on VHS
because you want another one. It is a pretty basic rule of copyright law
that you can=B9t make a copy of work without permission.
Sorry you have to waste time on this. PS I am going to guess that the
=B3patron=B2 is a professor.

.

On 11/29/07 10:27 AM, "Andrea Slonosky" <Andrea.Slonosky@liu.edu> wrote:

> =20
> Dear colleagues,
> =20
> I am trying to explain to a patron why we cannot, legally, buy a VHS titl=
e and
> transfer it to DVD ourselves. I know it=B9s somewhere in the Copyright Law,=
> think it is in section 106 or 108 but I would appreciate a firm citation =
or
> link, which will end the discussion. I have searched the archives, but, w=
ow,
> there=B9s just so many hit on copyright, format etc that I don=B9t quite have=
time
> to wade through all our stimulating discussions!
> =20
> Thanks for your help,
> =20
> Andrea=20
> =20
> =20
> Andrea Slonosky
>=20
> Chair, Library Department
>=20
> Media Librarian/Assistant Professor
>=20
> Brooklyn Campus Library
>=20
> Long Island University
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Andrea.Slonosky@liu.edu
>=20
> (718) 488-1311
>=20
> =20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3279180764_113188174

Re: [Videolib] need back up on copyright question I am = pretty sure you won’t find the exact words   you can’t= duplicate a VHS to DVD in the copyright law
What you will find in section  106 is that duplication/reproduction &n= bsp;( which is what you are doing ) is a right exclusively  reserved to= the copyright holder.
The only exception to the above involves making a copy of deteriorating &nb= sp; work but said work must stay exclusively on the library
Premise and is subject to the restrictions in 108 in terms of conditions to= be met for legally doing it.
By the same token you can’t scan a copyrighted book and put the the d= isc  in your collection or simply dub an extra copy on VHS
because you want another one. It is a pretty basic rule of copyright law th= at you can’t make a copy of work without permission.
Sorry you have to waste time on this. PS I am going to guess that the ̶= 0;patron” is a professor.

.