Re: [Videolib] Recommendations needed for good media vendor

Emily Ellington (emily@visconsultants.com)
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:28:03 -0500

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:27:42AM -0500, Michael Vollmar-Grone wrote:
> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:27:42 -0500
> From: Michael Vollmar-Grone <vollmami@oplin.org>
> To: VideoLib <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Videolib] Recommendations needed for good media vendor
>
> I switched to buying mostly from Arrow Distributing last year, but still
> rely on Midwest Tapes for the the harder-to-find items.
> Arrow is less expensive, often by several dollars per disc.
> Both have great customer service. Midwest's website is more
> comprehensive and online ordering is easier but Arrow's site is
> serviceable with some helpful features.
> Midwest has been slightly better at providing the DVDs before the
> release date, usually the week before.
> Arrow is on the web at http://www.arrdis.com
> --
>
> Michael Vollmar-Grone
> Director of Audiovisual Services
> Shelby County Libraries
> 230 East North Street
> Sidney, OH 45365
> vollmami@oplin.org

I usually just lurk, being a vendor and not a librarian,
but I'd like to interject what I think is a universal truth
here about the future direction of our culture with the
current 'drive to the cheapest' mantra going un-challenged.

If a vendor provides superior service, and therefor charges more,
and you reward him by buying from someone else, you are telling
him "You are wasting your effort and ruining your business -
you ought to drop your extra-cost efforts and just sell the
three Disney titles that move the fastest and cost the least",
and save money by not having a telephone.

Our society is in grave danger of ONLY having the Wall Marts
and the other purchasing choices that only offer the cheapest
possible (Chinese-produced, copyright-questionable?) alternatives,
with no-one handling the more service-oriented (and therefor
higher cost) choices. (Lead paint is used because it is
cheaper than the alternatives, by the way.)

We will get what we deserve and reward with our dollars.
Watch out not only for what you wish for, but also
for what you create with your purchasing decisions.

</rant>