Re: [Videolib] Vendor suggestions

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:56:22 -0500

I may have misunderstood the original question which I thought was for a
general purpose vendor who could give service to libraries on titles in the
retail market. The companies you mention below as well as other speciality
educational companies do not to the best of my knowledge allow their
product to be sold through ANY other company and must be bought directly
from them. I notice in the original question Ronda mentioned previewing and
realistically no one except companies selling high end educational films
allows this so perhaps she did mean that type of material. It is not
possible for those companies to sell through places like Midwest, Action B &
T etc partly because they don't sell wholesale and partly because they must
keep track of every purchase in terms of PPR which are generally included.

If anyone from one of those companies handles there stuff through 3rd
parties please feel free to correct this.

Bottom line there is no vendor that can handle both "regular" titles that
have been released to the public ( everything from Disney, to foreign films
to independent features) and the speciality films which are sold directly by
distributors to the educational market.

On 11/15/07 10:45 PM, "deg farrelly" <deg.farrelly@asu.edu> wrote:

> I spoke with Midwest today at the Arizona Library Association annual
> conference.
>
> The rep I spoke to was very strong in stressing that they mostly deal in the
> mass market commercial product line, feature films, children's videos, TV
> series, etc.
>
> They are NOT poised to handle the bulk of the quality documentary,
> educational, instructional, etc, titles... The kind of quality content you
> get from Bullforg, FMG, CinemaGuild, First Run/Icarus, Filmakers, etc.
>

> --
> deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
> Arizona State University at the West campus
> PO Box 37100
> Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
> Phone: 602.543.8522
> Email: deg.farrelly@asu.edu
>

>> I am sure librarians know best but from what I hear they really like Midwes=
>> Tape because unlike most of the others it seems to specialize in libraries
>> And small places whereas the big companies don=B9t. As far as I can tell they
>> seem to get anything legally available in the US.

> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International