Re: [Videonews] DVD-Rs & Re: [Videolib] NEED TO VENT

Linda Hellman (lhellman@optonline.net)
Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:50:17 -0500

--Boundary_(ID_s4wXFTnSSVf+5oRvGzVRYw)

Thank you , Mark, for your clear explanation of the difference in DVDs.
Celebrating 20 years of quality and service, Ambrose Video Publishing DVDs are manufactured using the highest quality production methods of glass mastering. Our newest productions are shot in high-definition, INCLUDE closed captioning, Spanish subtitles,precise chaptering and ancillary materials such as instructional guides, documents, etc. In addition, you will find extremely attractive pricing and friendly,efficient customer service. Call us at 800.526.4663 or visit our website: www.ambrosevideo.com to learn more.

Linda Hellman
Ambrose Video Publishing,Inc.
145 W.45th St. - Suite 1115
New York NY 10036
Tel: 1.800.526.4663
Fax: 1.212.768.9282
www.ambrosevideo.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Kopp" <mkopp@iu08.org>
To: <videonews@lists.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:05 PM
Subject: RE: [Videonews] DVD-Rs[Scanned]

> Hi Debra,
>
> In short, the difference between a manufactured DVD and a DVD-R, is how
> the data is placed onto the medium...duplication (DVD-R & DVD+R) vs
> replication (DVD).
>
> In a DVD-R or a DVD+R, a laser burns pits into a dye (duplication via a
> burner), that is sandwiched between the layers of the disk. A
> "manufactured" DVD has the data "stamped" (replication via stamping or
> molding of a disk), onto it's surface. DVD replication is the method
> used to manufacture bulk quantities of DVD's (generally speaking, over
> 1,000). A "glass master" of your original is made, which in turn stamps
> the data onto a blank media. The disc is then printed and lacquered for
> protection. Replication generally takes a much longer time than
> duplication because there are more steps in the process, as much as one
> to two weeks worth. Also, DVD replication requires much more pristine
> working conditions than DVD duplication, as the slightest speck or hair
> can mar the production.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Mark
>

> Mark W. Kopp
> Technology Assistant
> IT Department
> Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
> 4500 6th Avenue
> Altoona, PA 16602
> P: 814-940-0223
> F: 814-949-0984
> C: 814-937-2802

--Boundary_(ID_s4wXFTnSSVf+5oRvGzVRYw)-- VIDEONEWS is an electronic clearinghouse for information about new services, products, resources, and programs of interest to video librarians and archivists, educators, and others involved in the selection, acquisition, programming, and preservation of video materials in non-profit settings. The list is open to all interest individuals and list submissions are unmediated. However the list owner reserves the right to revoke subscriptions to the list in cases where the intent of the list is routinely violated or where general listserv etiquette and protocol are infringed.