Re: [Videolib] Accessible Media

Christine Godin (diractor@yahoo.com)
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:42:02 -0800 (PST)

--0-1540931053-1194396122=:28427

I had a lengthy conversation with the folks in the Caption Max suite. They made some excellent points about this subject. I have determined that one of our district colleges can caption for us, but I imagine this would involve some of those dreaded licensing issues we have covered so extensively lately. I think it would behoove more producers to just go ahead and have it done as part of the process. That way it will more likely be accurate and will be a value-added commodity.

Christine

----- Original Message ----
From: Jay Wyant <jay@captionmax.com>
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:24:03 PM
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Accessible Media

Folks,

Christine Godin said: "We need products that are accessible by all students and are useful as instructional tools."

We (CaptionMax) are a major accessibility services provider for DVD producers. Some of you may have met our representatives at NMM last month. At that conference and in other situations, video producers have asked us "what states are requiring that educational videos be accessible?" Basically, just like television producers, many of them feel they need a law to justify the expense of making a DVD accessible.

So I have two questions that I would love to hear back from you on - either on list or via private email to me at jay@captionmax.com:

1. Does your state have any such accessibility requirements for educational media (K-12, postsecondary, public libraries, all the above)? If so, could you possibly point me to the relevant citation to reference?

2. Does your institution have any accessibility requirements? That is, does your institution require you to justify any purchase of non-accessible materials?

nb: "fully accessible" in our opinion means both audio described and captioned and authored with audio menus. If your standard is more limited, it would be great to know that.

Thanks!

Jay Wyant
Marketing Director
CaptionMax