RE: [Videolib] NEED TO VENT--those #@&*!&% DVD-Rs

Brock, Shawn (Shawn.Brock@aetn.com)
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 12:51:06 -0500

Speaking as both a manufacturer and marketer/seller, it's a tough
balance. Much of our documentary content has a limited audience after
it airs, so we use the DVD+R format (the highest quality of the /R
manufacturing methods) in order to make it available at our normal home
video prices. The individual argument we often hear is "I'll pay for
the extra quality rather than save a few bucks and sacrifice it" but it
takes a few thousand customers to really mean it to justify that. Very
rare for niche content.

On the plus side, about 90% of the players manufactured in the last 5
years are compatible with the '+R' format and virtually every new player
sold today is compatible. You can find all kinds of stats
supporting/detailing this on the web, including a list of the exception
players. Anecdotally, since we adopted this format 6 or so years ago
the number of these kind of complaints continues to drop to the point
that it is literally a few for every thousand we sell.

Hope that helps cool the fire a bit ....

Regards,

Shawn Brock
Logistics Director
History Education / Consumer Products