Re: [Videolib] Captioning

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:58:43 -0400

What else would you do, Caption a copy of the same film the next time is was
needed by hearing impaired users?
Um question from a technical moron. Are you captioning the copy you bought
or do you have to dub it to caption it? As long as it is the same single
copy you bought I don't see a problem keeping it.

On 10/17/07 4:26 PM, "ghandman@library.berkeley.edu"
<ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Does anyone have any insights into the legality of retaining/cataloging
> copies of videos which have been captioned (i.e. by the purchasing
> institution) after purchase? It's fairly clear that adding captions to a
> non-captioned work after-market is allowed by current law, but what about
> keeping the "derivative" around in a library collection after its initial
> use.
>

> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
>
> 510-643-8566
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
> "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life
> presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."
> --Guy Debord

> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner