Re: [Videolib] video reproductions by libraries

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:49:12 -0400

--B_3274793355_98638044

Per previous. If you take a VHS and make a DVD you can NOT circulate the DV=
which is what I assume most people are now making their copies on

On 10/9/07 4:12 PM, "Brewer, Michael" <brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu> wrote=
:

> Yes, you can certainly do that (assuming the item meets all the other
> requirements in 108). It is actually what I recommend if your collection
> circulates (as it is very hard to keep track of ones that shouldn=B9t).
> =20
> mb
> =20
>=20
> Michael Brewer
> Slavic Studies, German Studies & Media Arts Librarian
> University of Arizona Library
> brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu
>=20
>=20

Re: [Videolib] video reproductions by libraries Per p= revious. If you take a VHS and make a DVD you can NOT circulate the DVD whic= h is what I assume most people are now making their copies on

Yes, you can certainly do that (assumi= ng the item meets all the other requirements in 108).  It is actually w= hat I recommend if your collection circulates (as it is very hard to keep tr= ack of ones that shouldn’t).

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library
brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

=

Jessica notes "IF= you make a copy of  a damaged /decorating video It can’t circula= te outside the library".

The text of Section 10= 8 says you are allowed to make up to three copies for purposes of preservati= ion, blah, blah, and it also states that a digital copy cannot circulate out= side the library (where it could presumably be easily duplicated).

The section has no suc= h prohibition on an analog copy circulating outside the library, so what if = the library were to make one digital preservation copy and one analog (video= ) copy? The digital copy would remain in the library and the video could be = checked out by professors for use in classes outside the library?

What do you think? I'd= be grateful for any input because this restriction (library use only) has b= een a real headache for us.

Thanks,

Patty
____________________________________
Patty Hornbeck
Media Resources Development Coordinator
Middlebury College Library
110 Storrs Ave. #M212
Middlebury, VT 05753
802-443-2268 ph.
802-443-5698 fax
hornbeck@middlebury.edu

=20

=

It is a can of worms but  two thing, you definitely can= not routinely make a back up copy. That is patently illegal
We have argued 108 here before but one thing that is clear is that IF you m= ake a copy of  a damaged /decorating video
It can’t circulate outside the library

At the risk of opening= a big old can of worms I'd like to ask if you all make copies of videos to = keep in the library and bring out if the original is damaged, deteriorating,= lost, or stolen.

I have interpreted Section 108 to mean you can't make a copy until after th= e fact of damage, etc. Of course that doesn't make sense but neither does mu= ch of copyright law.

But it's been suggested to me that some libraries routinely make backup cop= ies of new video acquisitions. Do you? And do you circulate the copies after= the original is gone?