Re: [Videolib] video reproductions by libraries

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:58:54 -0400

--B_3274786739_98229711

Just to clarify again this is IF a copy is damaged in danger NOT just for
back up =B3in case=B2
This section was in fact written for audio recordings but it was written in
such a sloppy way that it can be used for video

On 10/9/07 2:22 PM, "Hornbeck, Patty" <hornbeck@middlebury.edu> wrote:

> Jessica notes "IF you make a copy of a damaged /decorating video It can=B9=
> circulate outside the library".
> =20
> The text of Section 108 says you are allowed to make up to three copies f=
or
> purposes of preservatiion, blah, blah, and it also states that a digital =
copy
> cannot circulate outside the library (where it could presumably be easily
> duplicated).=20
> =20
> The section has no such prohibition on an analog copy circulating outside=
the
> library, so what if the library were to make one digital preservation cop=
y and
> one analog (video) copy? The digital copy would remain in the library and=
the
> video could be checked out by professors for use in classes outside the
> library?=20
> =20
> What do you think? I'd be grateful for any input because this restriction
> (library use only) has been a real headache for us.
> =20
> Thanks,
> =20
> Patty=20
> ____________________________________
> Patty Hornbeck
> Media Resources Development Coordinator
> Middlebury College Library
> 110 Storrs Ave. #M212
> Middlebury, VT 05753
> 802-443-2268 ph.
> 802-443-5698 fax
> hornbeck@middlebury.edu
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> =20
>> =20
>>=20

Re: [Videolib] video reproductions by libraries Just = to clarify again this is IF a copy is damaged in danger  NOT just for b= ack up “in case”
This section was in fact written for audio recordings but it was written in= such a sloppy way that it can be used for video

Jessica notes "IF you make a copy of  a damag= ed /decorating video It can’t circulate outside the library".
The text of Section 108 says you are allowed to make up to three copies for= purposes of preservatiion, blah, blah, and it also states that a digital co= py cannot circulate outside the library (where it could presumably be easily= duplicated).

The section has no such prohibition on an analog copy circulating outside t= he library, so what if the library were to make one digital preservation cop= y and one analog (video) copy? The digital copy would remain in the library = and the video could be checked out by professors for use in classes outside = the library?

What do you think? I'd be grateful for any input because this restriction (= library use only) has been a real headache for us.

Thanks,

Patty
___________= _________________________
Patty Hornbeck
Media Resources Development Coordinator
Middlebury College Library
110 Storrs Ave. #M212
Middlebury, VT 05753
802-443-2268 ph.
802-443-5698 fax
hornbeck@middlebury.edu

It is a can of worms but  two thing, you  definitely can not rout= inely make a back up copy. That is patently  illegal
We have argued 108 here before but one thing that is clear is that  IF= you make a copy of  a damaged /decorating video
It can’t circulate  outside the library

At the risk of opening a big old can of = worms I'd  like to ask if you all make copies of videos to keep in the = library and  bring out if the original is damaged, deteriorating, lost,= or  stolen.

I have interpreted Section 108 to mean you can't make a copy  until af= ter the fact of damage, etc. Of course that doesn't make sense but  nei= ther does much of copyright law.

But it's been suggested to me  that some libraries routinely make back= up copies of new video acquisitions.  Do you? And do you circulate the = copies after the original is gone?