RE: [Videolib] video reproductions by libraries

Hornbeck, Patty (hornbeck@middlebury.edu)
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 14:22:28 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C80AA1.5926A048

Jessica notes "IF you make a copy of a damaged /decorating video It
can't circulate outside the library".=20
=20
The text of Section 108 says you are allowed to make up to three copies
for purposes of preservatiion, blah, blah, and it also states that a
digital copy cannot circulate outside the library (where it could
presumably be easily duplicated).=20
=20
The section has no such prohibition on an analog copy circulating
outside the library, so what if the library were to make one digital
preservation copy and one analog (video) copy? The digital copy would
remain in the library and the video could be checked out by professors
for use in classes outside the library?=20
=20
What do you think? I'd be grateful for any input because this
restriction (library use only) has been a real headache for us.
=20
Thanks,
=20
Patty=20