Re: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:40:17 -0400

--------------010208090604070209020303

... Which to me always begs the question of how so many public
libraries find it acceptable to adopt the MPAA ratings standards as a
mechanism for libraries to block access to certain library materials
(i.e. no R-rated videos for minors). This seems awfully similar in
practice to 'labeling' to me, which is incredibly problematic if you
look at how inconsistently and unevenly the MPAA applies it's ratings
(not to mention the gross disparity in how violence is rated vs. nudity
/ sexual content). But I digress...

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware