Re: [Videolib] video reproductions by libraries

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:23:20 -0400

--B_3274777402_97633425

It is a can of worms but two thing, you definitely can not routinely make =
back up copy. That is patently illegal
We have argued 108 here before but one thing that is clear is that IF you
make a copy of a damaged /decorating video
It can=B9t circulate outside the library

On 10/9/07 11:52 AM, "Deborah Benrubi" <benrubi@usfca.edu> wrote:

> At the risk of opening a big old can of worms I'd like to ask if you all =
make
> copies of videos to keep in the library and bring out if the original is
> damaged, deteriorating, lost, or stolen.
>=20
> I have interpreted Section 108 to mean you can't make a copy until after =
the
> fact of damage, etc. Of course that doesn't make sense but neither does m=
uch
> of copyright law.
>=20
> But it's been suggested to me that some libraries routinely make backup c=
opies
> of new video acquisitions. Do you? And do you circulate the copies after =
the
> original is gone?
>=20
> I have a background in law but I find Section 108 very confusing; section=
> seem to contradict each other.
>=20
>=20
> Deborah Benrubi
> Technical Services Librarian
> University of San Francisco
> Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
> 2130 Fulton St.
> San Francisco, CA 94117
>=20
> PHONE (415) 422-5672 / FAX (415) 422-2233
> EMAIL <benrubi@usfca.edu>
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3274777402_97633425

Re: [Videolib] video reproductions by libraries It is= a can of worms but  two thing, you definitely can not routinely make a= back up copy. That is patently illegal
We have argued 108 here before but one thing that is clear is that IF you m= ake a copy of  a damaged /decorating video
It can’t circulate outside the library

At the risk of opening a big old can of = worms I'd like to ask if you all make copies of videos to keep in the librar= y and bring out if the original is damaged, deteriorating, lost, or stolen.<= BR>
I have interpreted Section 108 to mean you can't make a copy until after th= e fact of damage, etc. Of course that doesn't make sense but neither does mu= ch of copyright law.

But it's been suggested to me that some libraries routinely make backup cop= ies of new video acquisitions. Do you? And do you circulate the copies after= the original is gone?

I have a background in law but I find Section 108 very confusing; sections = seem to contradict each other.