Re: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

Marsha Loyer (m.loyer@mphpl.org)
Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:13:30 -0400

I am from a mid-sized public library in the Midwest. We have had
Deadwood on our shelves for a couple of years without any kind of
negative comment. The title that has raised problems for us that is
also an HBO product is Angels in America. With the lovely picture of
an angle on the front it was a bit disconcerting to several of our
older ladies to find out that it is a "gay" film. We added the
subtitle (from the play) A Gay Fantasia on National Themes on the
cover and slapped our handy-dandy pink florescent sticker that reads
NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MINORS on the spine. We have not had any more
complaints. This pink sticker is added to many of our HBO products
for safety sake.
Marsha
06:06 PM 10/6/2007, you wrote:

>I'm wondering how many medium-sized public libraries out there have
>purchased (or acquired through donation) the HBO series Deadwood on
>DVD. If so, have you had to address many complaints about the
>profanity? While there is great critical acclaim for the show (and
>I'm a fan myself), nearly every review comments on the extreme
>language, and I have visions of a never-ending stream of
>westerns-loving patrons registering outrage after popping in the
>DVD, expecting something like "Tombstone," "Wyatt Earp," or "Pale Rider."
>
>So I'm curious what other libraries' experiences have been.
>Complaint-free? A few here & there? More trouble than it's worth?
>Feel free to reply either on- or off-list...
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Michael Logan
>Acquisitions & Technical Services
>Humboldt County Library