RE: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

Tova Aragon (tovaarag@hotmail.com)
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:33:53 +0000

--_36a55a4b-c14b-4990-8d7c-010ef03a3b5a_

We are a medium size system. I had a large public demand for the purchase =
of "Deadwood". I have not had any complaints from the public. Several sta=
ff members warned me about the language.
=20
I too have found that complaints about films are because of sexual content.=
I have never had one based on language, violence or the intellectual cont=
ent.=20
=20
=20
Tova Aragon
Reference and Adult Services
Fort Collins Public Library
Fort Collins, CO 80524
970-224-6164> Subject: RE: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Dead=
wood?> Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:06:13 -0400> From: Kaolsen@browardlibrary.o=
rg> To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu> > We're a large system, but some of ou=
r communities are very conservative, and we've had our share of reconsidera=
tion requests, although never for "Deadwood".> > Oddly enough, our customer=
s only seem to complain about materials of a sexual nature, sometimes profa=
nity, but never violence. I had a complaint about the movie "Basic Instinct=
", and there wasn't one comment about the vicious stabbing death at the beg=
inning of the film--only the fact that they were naked and having sex.> > K=
athy Olsen> Broward County Library> Remote Operations Center> 3718 W. Oakla=
nd Park Blvd.> Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311> 954-497-3661 x226> 954-497-3657 =
(fax)> kaolsen@browardlibrary.org> > -----Original Message-----> From: owne=
r-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On=
Behalf Of Logan, Michael> Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 6:06 PM> To: vi=
deolib@lists.berkeley.edu> Subject: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO se=
ries Deadwood?> > > I'm wondering how many medium-sized public libraries ou=
t there have purchased (or acquired through donation) the HBO series Deadwo=
od on DVD. If so, have you had to address many complaints about the profani=
ty? While there is great critical acclaim for the show (and I'm a fan mysel=
f), nearly every review comments on the extreme language, and I have vision=
s of a never-ending stream of westerns-loving patrons registering outrage a=
fter popping in the DVD, expecting something like "Tombstone," "Wyatt Earp,=
" or "Pale Rider."> > So I'm curious what other libraries' experiences have=
been. Complaint-free? A few here & there? More trouble than it's worth? Fe=
el free to reply either on- or off-list...> > Thanks in advance,> > Michael=
Logan> Acquisitions & Technical Services> Humboldt County Library> Eureka,=
CA 95501> (707) 269-1962> mlogan@co.humboldt.ca.us> > > > VIDEOLIB is int=
ended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to th=
e selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, a=
nd use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related insti=
tutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool =
for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between librari=
es,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.> > VIDEO=
LIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues rela=
ting to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, prese=
rvation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and rel=
ated institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective wor=
king tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication betwe=
en libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors=
.
Climb to the top of the charts!=A0 Play Star Shuffle:=A0 the word scramble =
challenge with star power.
http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=3Dstarshuffle_wlmailtextlink_oc=
t=

--_36a55a4b-c14b-4990-8d7c-010ef03a3b5a_

We are a medium size system.  I had a large public demand for the purc= hase of "Deadwood".  I have not had any complaints from the public.&nb= sp; Several staff members warned me about the language.

I too have found that complaints about films are because of sexual con= tent.  I have never had one based on language, violence or the in= tellectual content.

Tova Aragon
Reference and Adult Services
Fort Collins Public Library
Fort Collins, CO 80524
970-224-6164

> Subject: RE: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO = series Deadwood?
> Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:06:13 -0400
> From:= Kaolsen@browardlibrary.org
> To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>=
> We're a large system, but some of our communities are very conser= vative, and we've had our share of reconsideration requests, although never= for "Deadwood".
>
> Oddly enough, our customers only seem to = complain about materials of a sexual nature, sometimes profanity, but never= violence. I had a complaint about the movie "Basic Instinct", and there wa= sn't one comment about the vicious stabbing death at the beginning of the f= ilm--only the fact that they were naked and having sex.
>
> Ka= thy Olsen
> Broward County Library
> Remote Operations Center> 3718 W. Oakland Park Blvd.
> Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311
>= ; 954-497-3661 x226
> 954-497-3657 (fax)
> kaolsen@browardlibra= ry.org

&= gt;
> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discuss= ion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliograp= hic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in= libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve a= s an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of c= ommunication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producer= s and distributors.

Climb to the top of the charts!=A0 P= lay Star Shuffle:=A0 the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now! =

--_36a55a4b-c14b-4990-8d7c-010ef03a3b5a_--