RE: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

Olsen, Kathy (Kaolsen@browardlibrary.org)
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:06:13 -0400

We're a large system, but some of our communities are very conservative, and we've had our share of reconsideration requests, although never for "Deadwood".

Oddly enough, our customers only seem to complain about materials of a sexual nature, sometimes profanity, but never violence. I had a complaint about the movie "Basic Instinct", and there wasn't one comment about the vicious stabbing death at the beginning of the film--only the fact that they were naked and having sex.

Kathy Olsen
Broward County Library
Remote Operations Center
3718 W. Oakland Park Blvd.
Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33311
954-497-3661 x226
954-497-3657 (fax)
kaolsen@browardlibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Logan, Michael
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 6:06 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

I'm wondering how many medium-sized public libraries out there have purchased (or acquired through donation) the HBO series Deadwood on DVD. If so, have you had to address many complaints about the profanity? While there is great critical acclaim for the show (and I'm a fan myself), nearly every review comments on the extreme language, and I have visions of a never-ending stream of westerns-loving patrons registering outrage after popping in the DVD, expecting something like "Tombstone," "Wyatt Earp," or "Pale Rider."

So I'm curious what other libraries' experiences have been. Complaint-free? A few here & there? More trouble than it's worth? Feel free to reply either on- or off-list...

Thanks in advance,

Michael Logan
Acquisitions & Technical Services
Humboldt County Library