RE: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

Kathie Newsted (knewsted@huntleylibrary.org)
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:46:09 -0500

Our library is smallish (100,000 circulation), and the patrons are generally
conservative, but I've never received any complaints.

Kathie Newsted

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
~ Louisa May Alcott ~

Kathie Newsted, Readers Services
Huntley Area Public Library
11000 Ruth Road, Huntley IL 60142
Phone (847)669-5386x23 Fax (847)669-5439
knewsted@huntleylibrary.org
www.huntleylibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Logan, Michael
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 5:06 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

I'm wondering how many medium-sized public libraries out there have
purchased (or acquired through donation) the HBO series Deadwood on DVD. If
so, have you had to address many complaints about the profanity? While there
is great critical acclaim for the show (and I'm a fan myself), nearly every
review comments on the extreme language, and I have visions of a
never-ending stream of westerns-loving patrons registering outrage after
popping in the DVD, expecting something like "Tombstone," "Wyatt Earp," or
"Pale Rider."

So I'm curious what other libraries' experiences have been. Complaint-free?
A few here & there? More trouble than it's worth? Feel free to reply either
on- or off-list...

Thanks in advance,

Michael Logan
Acquisitions & Technical Services