RE: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

Helene Lynch (hlynch@mcl.org)
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:42:21 -0400

Hi there!
We have the Deadwood series and have not had a problem yet. The series
circulates constantly and has holds. I suppose the folks who might complain
probably haven't seen it on the shelf since it circulates frequently.
Helene Lynch
Mercer County Library System
New Jersey

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Logan, Michael
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 6:06 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Public libraries with HBO series Deadwood?

I'm wondering how many medium-sized public libraries out there have
purchased (or acquired through donation) the HBO series Deadwood on DVD. If
so, have you had to address many complaints about the profanity? While there
is great critical acclaim for the show (and I'm a fan myself), nearly every
review comments on the extreme language, and I have visions of a
never-ending stream of westerns-loving patrons registering outrage after
popping in the DVD, expecting something like "Tombstone," "Wyatt Earp," or
"Pale Rider."

So I'm curious what other libraries' experiences have been. Complaint-free?
A few here & there? More trouble than it's worth? Feel free to reply either
on- or off-list...

Thanks in advance,

Michael Logan
Acquisitions & Technical Services