Re: [Videolib] Closed Captioning

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:52:12 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_Ie50+hYu28xK828FSL/A0w)

We have a clause in our duplication licenses where we state that IF we
had to close caption a media item,
we will, on written request, supply the captioning, and the producer or
rights holders agrees to pay for
the lab costs to make and ship them the copy. This is language left
over from pre-DVD days, when Betacam
costed a lot more than DVD does, today. Still, the gist of the deal is,
we will supply the captioning in exchange
for the 'right' to make it in the first place, at our expense.

Our K-12 system tried, for about 2 years, to insist on only buying
captioned items, but they gave up on that
idea. Smaller producers don't know about captioning, and it meant
turning down a lot of good content. So,
K-12 tried doing an automatic captioning on any new purchases, but
again, the costs were prohibitive.
Now they will do it on an "as needed" basis. The technology has become
easier, and the people who do it
can turn it around faster if they have a script to work from. There are
computer-generated softwares, but
the error rates are far too high to use them other than on an ephemeral
basis (like a sports or news event).

As for subtitling being a substitute - no, it is not. Captioning will
desribe any audio - music playing, hands clapping,
doorbell ringing - that type of sound - and display this on screen.
Subtitling only refers to the spoken word.

Susan

--
Susan Weber, Media Librarian
Langara College, Advanced Education Media

Fast Forward Media Showcase http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac

--Boundary_(ID_Ie50+hYu28xK828FSL/A0w) Content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> We have a clause in our duplication licenses where we state that IF we had to close caption a media item,

Claire Rasmussen wrote:

[...]

--Boundary_(ID_Ie50+hYu28xK828FSL/A0w)-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.