[Videolib] educational/performance rights: copyright versus licensing

kathy Evans (kathy@purdue.edu)
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:09:02 -0400

I have a question about public performance rights and education. Do you
all purchase public performance rights for everything you buy for your
university/school libraries? A vendor told me that they consider all
educational use to be public performance and they required institutions
to purchase that license. Either you are a homebody viewer or you are
doing public performance. Is that pretty standard even though it seems
from section 110 that it is kosher to show movies and AV in class and
one is not infriging on copyright.. Is the license restriction more of a
financial survival decision than a copyright infringement issue? Perhaps
smaller companies and producers require this. As a visual resource
center in a big university I am in a small dept and not a library.
Everything I purchase is only used in a classroom and not circulated to
a campus and beyond. I have purchased things at an institutional price,
but I have not seen education and public performance married together.
Maybe I have been confused? Maybe I am confusing what is allowable from
a copyright standpoint and what has been agreed concerning licensing by
the vendor and the maker?
Any thoughts down this well troden path?


Kathy Evans
Slide Librarian
Division of Art and Design
Patti and Rusty Rueff Dept of Visual and Performing Arts
Yue-Kong Pao Hall of Visual and Performing Arts
552 West Wood Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2002
w: (765) 494-7666 

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.