RE: [Videolib] Vanderbilt Television News Archive online

Merle J. Slyhoff (mslyhoff@law.upenn.edu)
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:57:45 -0400

The Vanderbilt site is great for identifying relevant news pieces. And
then to use a place like TrackNews http://tracktvinc.com/ to get the
DVD/video/hyperlinks, etc.

Merle

Merle J. Slyhoff V: 215-898-9013
Collection Development & F: 215-898-6619
Document Delivery Services Librarian E: mslyhoff@law.upenn.edu
Biddle Law Library
University of Pennsylvania
3460 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3406

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 3:19 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Vanderbilt Television News Archive online

We've gotten the Vanderbilt Index for some years and it's something of a
mixed blessing. Cool for identifying broadcasts, but the problem is
that
patrons then want to view the stuff. Vanderbilt will make scratch
preview
copies of individual works or compilations of clips, but the cost is
usually much too steep for most undergrads. The turnaround time to make
the preview copies is very slow. Once viewed, the tapes must be
returned
to the Archive.

Gary Handman

> This was news to me, so thought I'd share the press release info we
> received.
>
> Barb Bergman | Media Services Librarian | Minnesota State University,
> Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu
>
> September 20, 2007
>
> In the pursuit of providing higher academic institutions with the best
> resources available for research and study, Vanderbilt University is
able
> to offer these institutions the opportunity to subscribe to the
Vanderbilt
> Television News Archive. This subscription provides a unique and
powerful
> resource for a variety of research areas.
>
> Access to these materials within the Vanderbilt Television News
Archive
> will serve as the perfect resource for those individuals interested in
> reviewing, studying, or researching broadcasted news events,
especially in
> areas such as communications, journalism, political science, and
> radio/television.
>
> Since August 5, 1968, the Vanderbilt Television News Archive has
recorded
> and archived each evening newscast broadcasted by the three major
> networks, as well as a variety of other news-related programs. The
> Vanderbilt Television News Archive has amassed the most complete and
> extensive collection of television news video in the world.
>
> In recent years, the Archive has converted almost all of its
collection to
> digital video and has been recording broadcasts digitally since 2004.
> Through this digital initiative and an agreement we have in place with
> CNN, we now have the capability to stream content from that network to
> subscribing educational institutions for use by their students,
faculty,
> and staff.
>
> The Vanderbilt Television News Archive has over 850,000 video news
> segments, complete with searchable abstracts. The archive includes
evening
> news broadcasts from ABC (August 5, 1968 - present), CBS (August 5,
1968 -
> present), and NBC (August 5, 1968 - present), as well as FoxNews
Reports
> (January 15, 2004 - present) and CNN. The archive also contains ABC's
> Nightline and Special Report coverage including:
>

> * Each Republican and Democratic political convention since 1968
and
> corresponding election coverage.
> * Each televised State of the Union Address since 1968.
> * The Watergate hearings of the Senate and House of
Representatives,
> including the transcripts, which we recently digitized.
> * Most major speeches given by U.S. Presidents since 1968.
> * Presidential news conferences.
> * Coverage of the American hostage crisis in Iran.
> * Coverage of the first Persian Gulf War.
> * Coverage of the terrorist's attacks on the United States on
September
> 11, 2001.
> * Coverage of the War in Afghanistan.
> * Coverage of the War in Iraq.
> *
>

> Colleges and universities that subscribe gain access to over 95,000
CNN
> segments, 3,000 evening news shows, 2,500 special reports, and 4,600
hours
> of video, which may be streamed to any computer on campus.
>
> Other benefits to this subscription include the ability to search the
> entire Vanderbilt Television News Archive database, while allowing
> students, faculty, and staff the ability to search the database
without
> having to register.
>
> The Vanderbilt Television News Archive also provides a loan service to
> individuals interested in viewing the archived materials from ABC,
CBS,

marshall.breeding@Vanderbilt.Edu<mailto:marshall.breeding@Vanderbilt.Edu

> Ron Zolkower
> Coordinator for Billing