Re: [Videolib] What to do with DVD-Rs?

Jerry Notaro (notaro@stpt.usf.edu)
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:57:30 -0400

--B_3273055050_3652280

And since some companies make their own I=B9ve had problems with titles being
labeled incorrectly.

Jerry

> Ah yes, DVD-Rs... Probably the biggest thorn in my side, as far as
> playability issues. (Immediately followed by the lack of chapter breaks =
and
> generic menus on some distributors discs -- these are easy to add using D=
VD
> authoring software.) You write:
>=20
> "I am sure I'm not the only one dealing with this problem .... am I? How =
do
> others handle something like this when a Prof takes a questionable item t=
o use
> in a class? Tell him/her to check it first as it may or may not work? I
> don't think so. (sarcasm indented)"
>=20
> Well... er... Yes, actually. We ordered custom labels on bright green =
stock
> to alert instructors to the (potential) problem which read:
>=20
> "NOTICE: This is a DVD-R and may not play on all DVD players. Please te=
st on
> classroom equipment before screening."
>=20
> I understand that some distributors, knowing that a title may not sell ve=
ry
> many copies, see DVD-Rs as the only viable option to releasing some progr=
ams.
> I'd like to encourage those who are on this list to please take the rathe=
> serious playback problems with DVD-Rs into account when making such a
> decision. The cost / minimum numbers for pressing a run of 'real' DVDs h=
as
> come down, and the playback issues are a huge problem. I know of some
> institutions (mostly public libraries) who, as a rule, will not purchase
> DVD-Rs because there are so many reported playback problems. It becomes =
an
> equity-of-access issue.
>=20
> I've also been told by some distributors, upon reporting problems, that D=
VD-Rs
> should play in newer players -- this is not always the case. Another resp=
onse
> that is not acceptable is "If there's a problem, send it back". Yes, of
> course, if we note a problem during our previewing process, we will send =
the
> disc back. But it's impossible to test every model of DVD player / drive=
on
> campus, and of course there's the variable of students' and instructors' =
own
> players.
>=20
> My $.02,
>=20
> *************************
> Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
> Senior Assistant Librarian
> Instructional Media Collection Department
> Morris Library, University of Delaware
> 181 S. College Ave.
> Newark, DE 19717
> (302) 831-1475
> http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/instructionalmedia/
>=20
> Karen Heckman wrote:
>> We have recently been acquiring more DVD-Rs and finding they are very
>> unreliable as far as playback. The last one we received we put in a
>> Panasonic player and got a message "nothing recorded" ..... tried it in =
>> Toshiba player and it worked!
>> I think I understand that it is not a problem with the player but rather=
how
>> the info is written to the disc but if I'm wrong it won't be the first t=
ime
>> .... nor the last.
>> =20
>> I am sure I'm not the only one dealing with this problem .... am I? How =
do
>> others handle something like this when a Prof takes a questionable item =
>> use in a class? Tell him/her to check it first as it may or may not wor=
k? I
>> don't think so. (sarcasm indented)
>> =20
>> I'm not a technical person .... just trying to do the best job I can whe=
re I
>> am. Help, please!
>> =20
>> Karen
>> =20

--B_3273055050_3652280

Re: [Videolib] What to do with DVD-Rs? And s= ince some companies make their own I’ve had problems with titles being= labeled incorrectly.

Jerry

Ah yes, DVD-Rs...  Probably the biggest thorn in m= y side, as far as playability issues.  (Immediately followed by the lac= k of chapter breaks and generic menus on some distributors discs -- these ar= e easy to add using DVD authoring software.)  You write:

"I am sure I'm not the only one dealing with this problem .... am I? H= ow do others handle something like this when a Prof takes a questionable ite= m to use in a class?  Tell him/her to check it first as it may or may n= ot work?  I don't think so. (sarcasm indented)"

Well...  er...  Yes, actually.  We ordered custom labels on = bright green stock to alert instructors to the (potential) problem which rea= d:

"NOTICE:  This is a DVD-R and may not play on all DVD players. &n= bsp;Please test on classroom equipment before screening."

I understand that some distributors, knowing that a title may not sell very= many copies, see DVD-Rs as the only viable option to releasing some program= s.  I'd like to encourage those who are on this list to please take the= rather serious playback problems with DVD-Rs into account when making such = a decision.  The cost / minimum numbers for pressing a run of 'real' DV= Ds has come down, and the playback issues are a huge problem.  I know o= f some institutions (mostly public libraries) who, as a rule, will not purch= ase DVD-Rs because there are so many reported playback problems.  It be= comes an equity-of-access issue.

I've also been told by some distributors, upon reporting problems, that DVD= -Rs should play in newer players -- this is not always the case. Another res= ponse that is not acceptable is "If there's a problem, send it back&quo= t;.  Yes, of course, if we note a problem during our previewing process= , we will send the disc back.  But it's impossible to test every model = of DVD player / drive on campus, and of course there's the variable of stude= nts' and instructors' own players.

My $.02,

*************************
Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475
http://www.lib.ude= l.edu/ud/instructionalmedia/

Karen Heckman wrote:
 We have recently been acquiring more DVD-Rs and = finding they are very unreliable as far as playback.  The last one we r= eceived we put in a Panasonic player and got a message "nothing recorde= d" ..... tried it in a Toshiba player and it worked!
I think I understand that it is not a problem with the player but rather ho= w the info is written to the disc but if I'm wrong it won't be the first tim= e .... nor the last.

I am sure I'm not the only one dealing with this problem .... am I? How do = others handle something like this when a Prof takes a questionable item to u= se in a class?  Tell him/her to check it first as it may or may not wor= k?  I don't think so. (sarcasm indented)

I'm not a technical person .... just trying to do the best job I can where = I am.  Help, please!

Karen

--B_3273055050_3652280--