Re: [Videolib] Video art and online collections

Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:41:54 -0700

Well, the deed of gift may not tell you much, either.

When the individuals on the tapes were taped, they agreed to have
their images recorded and for the piece of media to be distributed
and shown in a particular manner. They most certainly didn't sign
off on web distribution. You'd also have to see what the TV station
that originally gifted these has to say about digitizing and
delivering their content.

There's not much to know about copyright and TV. The law allows
individuals to make off-air copies for personal (i.e. home) use (see
Sony v. Universal: http://www.nyfairuse.org/legal/betamax.html). The
Kastenmeir Guidelines
(http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Kastenmeier.html) make some
(extra-legal) provisions for taking materials off-air for limited
amounts of time for use in teaching. Beyond that, it's really the
rights owner's ballgame. You need rights to capture and retain,
rebroadcast or transmit, repurpose, or otherwise use TV content
(except as noted above).

g.

At 08:08 AM 9/7/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Gary,
>
>The problem is that I've been unable to track down a deed of gift.
>And I'm sure some of the video content exists at other institutions.
>The videos were originally broadcast on a NEA funded tv station, so
>I'm looking for rights waivers. Its possible due to the context of
>their showing, and that we have all tapes from the station, that we
>should be able to use the content. I'm looking for resources to help
>me understand copyright on video and broadcast. ANy suggestions?
>
>Bryan
>

>Quoting ghandman@library.berkeley.edu:
>
>>Hi Bryan
>>
>>I assume you've cleared rights and/or purchased licenses to do what you
>>plan to do. You can't just "publish digitally" if the stuff is under
>>current copyright. Yes?
>>
>>Gary Handman
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm putting together a plan to build a digital collection of some our
>>>video art holdings in special collections. There are some works and
>>>interviews of major artists and I am finding it difficult to locate
>>>resources that would help me understand the extent to which we can
>>>publish these works digitally. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Bryan Stusse
>>>School of Library &
>>>Information Science
>>>University of Iowa
>>>3087 Main Library
>>>Iowa City, Iowa
>>>52242-1420
>>>
>>>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of
>>>issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
>>>control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
>>>libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve
>>>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>>>communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
>>>producers and distributors.
>>

>>Gary Handman
>>Director
>>Media Resources Center
>>Moffitt Library
>>UC Berkeley
>>
>>510-643-8566
>>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>>
>>"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life
>>presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."
>>--Guy Debord
>>

>>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of
>>acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current
>>and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It
>> is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for
>>video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
>>libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and
> [...]

UC Berkeley