RE: [Videolib] Copyright and captioning

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 20:40:16 -0500

My understanding is that you do not need permission if you're making a copy in order to accommodate a disability, and that we're allowed to alter material for these purposes (ex: creating a book-on- tape of a print book for vision impaired or adding captioning for hearing impaired.)

I think the provision is more clearly stated in the ADA than in the copyright exemptions, but no time to look it up right now.

Barb Bergman | Media Services Librarian | Minnesota State University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Brigid Duffy
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 7:34 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Copyright and captioning

A question, fellow video librarians:

We are considering having closed captions added to some titles in our
collection; since this requires the making of a copy, we need to get
permission from the copyright holders.

Some of these titles show more than one copyright holder - the
filmmaker has copyright on the content, and the distributor has
copyrighted their print (for instance, a BBC video distributed by
Films Media Group shows a copyright for both).

So whose permission do we need to get to make the captioned copy?

Thanks for all opinions.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology