Re: [Videolib] SOME WOMEN OF MARRAKECH

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:17:09 -0700

--Apple-Mail-1--248368129
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

"Some Women of Marrakech", part of the "Disappearing World" series, =20
is available on NTSC format vhs from

The Royal Anthropological Institute
50 Fitzroy Street
London W1T 5BT
United Kingdom
Web page for this item: http://www.therai.org.uk/film/=20
diss_world.html#marrakech#marrakech
Phone: +44 (0)20 7387 0455
Fax: +44 (0)20 7388 8817

Purchase price is =A350 - but contact them to check on that. And the =20
last time we ordered from them they did not take credit cards.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Aug 30, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Darla Moore wrote:

> [...]

> is also
> different. This 28-minute film was produced in 1978 with a small =20
> grant from
> the NEH, and utilized (with Granada management permission) out-=20
> takes from
> SOME WOMEN OF MARRAKESH, unused footage on the religious =20
> experiences of
> Moroccan women. I raised the money and was associate producer. Melissa
> Llewelyn-Davies retained the rights, as original director-producer =20
> of the
> footage, to be credited as such on SAINTS AND SPIRITS. Since 1978, =20
> this
> short film has been distributed by First Run/Icarus Films and has been
> shown in London, Stockholm and at the National Gallery, Washington, =20=

> DC., as
> well as being a selection of the Margaret Mead Film Ethnographic Film
> Festival in New York. Curiously, Granada Television also lists it =20
> as one of
> its films!
>
> "As for offending the Muslim community: the Moroccan Embassy did =20
> indeed
> lodge a formal complaint, first with Granada and then to PBS, about =20=

> the
> bath scene, but that did not affect the film's airing. It is still =20
> one of
> the most popular films available at the Musee de l'Homme and the =20
> Pompidou
> Museum in Paris. Further, a review in one of Morocco's Arabic =20
> newspapers
> cited "its veracity in reporting honestly the problems of Moroccan =20
> women"
> and asked the rhetorical question, "Why can't Moroccan film makers =20
> produce
> such work? Why do we wait for foreigners to do it?" The review was =20
> written
> by Leila Abouzeid, a well-respected Moroccan novelist.
>

> "So, a long and tangled history, but one that continues." -- =20
> Elizabeth Fernea
>
> I hope this is helpfulm.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jonathan Miller

> <8C81AA7D3B12F4408C6B3359AEB001CC034DE3DE@LIB-=20
> EMarks.library.lib.uconn.edu>, "Chris McNevins" =20
> <Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu> wrote:
> Does anyone know if this video is still available??
>
> Some women of Marrakech ?h [videorecording] / ?c a production of =20
> Granada Television ; produced and directed by Melissa Llewelyn-=20
> Davies ; producer, Melanie Wallace.
> ?a Boston : ?b Public Broadcasting Service ; ?a [Duluth? : ?b =20
> University of Minnesota, Duluth, Learning Resource Center?, ?c 1981?]
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Chris McNevins
> Non-Print Coordinator
> University of Connecticut
> Homer Babbidge Library
> Collections Services - Acquisitions Monographs

--Apple-Mail-1--248368129

"Some Women of Marrakech", part = of the "Disappearing World" series, is available on NTSC format vhs = from=A0

The Royal Anthropological Institute
50 Fitzroy Street
London = W1T 5BT
United Kingdom
Web page for this item:=A0http://www.therai.org.uk/film/diss_world.html#marrakech#marrakech
Phone: +44 (0)20 7387 0455
Fax: +44 (0)20 7388 8817

Purchase price is =A350 - but contact them to check = on that. And the last time we ordered from them they did not take credit = cards.

Brigid = Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San = Francisco State University
San = Francisco, CA=A0 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

=A0I queried the list about this film a couple of = years ago.=A0 The answer I received is below.
=A0Just to give = you some background:=A0 Another list member had written=A0that an edited = version of this film (without a scene=A0that might be offensive to the = Muslim community)=A0was available under the title "Saints and Spirits."=A0= But according to a professor who was involved in making the movie,=A0they= are two=A0different works.
=A0I hope this is helpful.
=
=A0Darla Moore
=A0Rollins College
=A0
=
=A0Jonathan Miller (jmiller@frif.com)
Mon, 10 = Jan 2005 13:55:36 -0500
Dear Susan, Darla, = and anyone else interested:

There is an old history to this = film which still comes up from time to
time, and some of what is = written below is not accurate. So, I forwarded
this email to Prof. = Elizabeth Fernea
http://www.frif.com/subj= ects/fernea.html of the University of Texas at the
time. Here is = what she wrote to me "to set the record straight":

"SOME WOMEN = OF MARRAKESH, a film in Granada Television's Disappearing World =
series, came out in 1976 and won prizes and acclaim for its =
producer-director, Melissa Llewelyn-Davies. It boosted the first = all-woman
crew in the history of British TV. I served as = ethnographic consultant.
Then Odyssey bought the footage in 1981 to = recut it for PBS. (For that
version, I was co-producer with Melanie = Wallace). But Ms. Llewelyn-Davies,
who had final say since she was = the original producer-director of the
footage, did not like the PBS = version, which aired in 1982. Thus she
refused to let it be released = for any other TV or theatrical showings.

"Years later, the = University of Texas obtained permission to distribute it
FOR = EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. The VHS may still be purchased from the =
Department of Anthropology, U. of Texas, Austin, TX. 78712, = attention: Pam
Becker. Cost is US $200 and all moneys go into = student fellowships in
anthropology and film.

"SAINTS AND = SPIRITS is a different film altogether, and its history is also =
different. This 28-minute film was produced in 1978 with a small = grant from
the NEH, and utilized (with Granada management = permission) out-takes from
SOME WOMEN OF MARRAKESH, unused footage = on the religious experiences of
Moroccan women. I raised the money = and was associate producer. Melissa
Llewelyn-Davies retained the = rights, as original director-producer of the
footage, to be credited = as such on SAINTS AND SPIRITS. Since 1978, this
short film has been = distributed by First Run/Icarus Films and has been
shown in London, = Stockholm and at the National Gallery, Washington, DC., as
well as = being a selection of the Margaret Mead Film Ethnographic Film =
Festival in New York. Curiously, Granada Television also lists it as = one of
its films!

"As for offending the Muslim community: = the Moroccan Embassy did indeed
lodge a formal complaint, first with = Granada and then to PBS, about the
bath scene, but that did not = affect the film's airing. It is still one of
the most popular films = available at the Musee de l'Homme and the Pompidou
Museum in Paris. = Further, a review in one of Morocco's Arabic newspapers
cited "its = veracity in reporting honestly the problems of Moroccan women"
and = asked the rhetorical question, "Why can't Moroccan film makers produce =
such work? Why do we wait for foreigners to do it?" The review was = written
by Leila Abouzeid, a well-respected Moroccan = novelist.

"So, = a long and tangled history, but one that continues." -- Elizabeth = Fernea

I hope this is = helpfulm.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Miller

=

=
Does = anyone know if this video is still available??
=
=A0
=A0Some women of = Marrakech ?h [videorecording] / ?c a production of Granada Television ; = produced and directed by Melissa Llewelyn-Davies ; producer, Melanie = Wallace.
?a Boston : ?b Public Broadcasting Service ; ?a = [Duluth? : ?b University of Minnesota, Duluth, Learning Resource = Center?, ?c 1981?]
=A0
Thanks = in advance...
=A0

Chris = McNevins
Non-Print Coordinator =
University of Connecticut
Homer = Babbidge Library
Collections Services - = Acquisitions Monographs
369 Fairfield Way Unit = 2005AM
Storrs, CT 06269-2005 =
ph: 860-486-3842
fax: = 860-486-6493 =

= --Apple-Mail-1--248368129-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.