Re: [Videolib] Monaural DVDs

Susan Weber (sweber@langara.bc.ca)
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:43:44 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_rw0zcunxX1AhuZw8q3Vu3w)

Eric:
I see that nobody responded to you on list about this problem. Today, I am
catching up on summer mail and also got a report back from our lab about an
audio problem with DVD that may provide a clue.
I'm not a technician, so I'm only reporting my interpretation of the
problem, which is that
there are 2 audio systems for compressing audio on a DVD: 1. Dolby 2.0
and 2. LCPM
Dolby 2.0 is better at audio compression. When the other system LCPM,
is used,
it will cause errors in reading the disc from SOME manufacturers,
although not
all.
I don't know if your mono problem is related to this, but it's more of a
technical
area that may have the answer.

Susan

--

Susan Weber, Media Librarian

Langara College, Advanced Education Media Acquisitions Centre 100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 2Z6 http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac

Tel. 604-323-5533 email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Fast Forward Media Showcase

http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd

--Boundary_(ID_rw0zcunxX1AhuZw8q3Vu3w) Content-type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> Eric:

Fry, Eric wrote:

[...]

--Boundary_(ID_rw0zcunxX1AhuZw8q3Vu3w)-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.