Re: [Videolib] Film for Women in Medicine program

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:12:47 -0400

--------------020902040308070800060303

Hello Nicholle,

I recently worked with a student whose undergraduate thesis topic was on
women in medicine in film. Although most of what I helped her with
(with the aid of this list, thanks!!) was tracking down filmprints of
titles never available on home video, I did come up with the following
list of (relatively) recent additional titles that are more likely to be
available on home video:

Cameron Diaz plays an orthopedic surgeon in "There's Something About
Mary"; Greer Garson in "Strange Lady in Town"; Lauren Bacall plays a
psychiatrist/doctor in "Shock Treatment" (1964); Viveca Lindfors plays
another psychiatrist/doctor in "Brainstorm" (1965). Also consider Wendy
Crewson in "The Doctor" (1981); Meg Ryan in "City of Angels" (1998);
psychiatrist Barbra Streisand in "The Prince of Tides (1991); Genevieve
Bujold in "Coma" (1978); Meryl Streep plays a psychoanalyst (MD?) in
"Prime" (2005); Anne Archer in "Patriot Games" (1992) and "A Clear and
Present Danger" (1994); Barbara Stanwyck in "You Belong to Me" (1941);
Ingrid Bergman in "Spellbound", and Googie Withers in "White Corridors"
(1949).

Not sure about the PPR availability, though.

Hope this might be helpful,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware