Re: [Videolib] Vacancy: Director, Film and Media Library, Hofstra

Tom.Ipri@unlv.edu
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:24:03 -0700

--=_alternative 005A17D488257337_=

I, too, had applied for this position and made a point of not joining the
discussion as I was not sure how appropriate my experience would be to the
general conversation as to the relationship between having an MLS and
media librarianship. And I don't think the original person who raised the
issue was picking on the Hofstra position but just used that ad as a
starting point for the conversation. Personally, I don't find it
particularly professional to post such negative comments about a position
on a list like this, and it is certainly not fair to the fine people I met
at Hofstra who are trying hard to fill a position. We're all in this
together.

There were things about the job which did not appeal to me personally, but
that doesn't mean that this isn't the IDEAL position for some other person
and don't see the point of potentially discouraging that person from
applying.

My experience in dealing with Hofstra was much more positive than the one
described in this post and I would be glad, off-list, to provide my
insights, but I think the best thing would be to follow-up on Sarach
McClesky's offer to contact her about the position. She posted it and is
in the best position to answer your questions.

Tom

_____________________________
Tom Ipri, MS
Head, Media and Computer Services
Lied Library
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Pkwy
Las Vegas, NV 89154
702-895-2183
tom.ipri@unlv.edu

Jimi Jones <jjones7@uiuc.edu>
Sent by: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
08/14/2007 06:57 AM
Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] Vacancy: Director, Film and Media Library, Hofstra
University (search re-opened)

The application process was fairly typical - cover letter, resume,
references. They did a 30 minute phone interview with me and then flew
me out a month later for an on-campus interview.

The position is mostly an acquisitions and accounting type of job - the
position orders DVDs and VHS tapes for the film library (which is
exactly that - a collection of videos - this is NOT a film theory
"subject library"). There are, if I remember correctly, two FTE
positions under this one that handle reference duties and some other
office stuff.

The pay for the job was, based on my research of Hempstead, inadequate
for living anywhere near Hofstra. Most of the staff I talked to commute
about an hour to an hour and a half each way from the boroughs to the
library each day.

I'm an archivist and work with original materials. I made that clear in
the phone interview but they weren't entirely clear with what this job
was, so I wasn't sure what I was walking into when I did the interview.
My experience of the interview was that I am not a New Yorker and my
"style" is fairly different from that of the interviewers. I suspect
they were looking for more of a librarian and less of an archivist,
which probably made me a bad fit for the position. Had I been offered
the job, I would not have accepted the offer. They never contacted me
either way after the interview (which is something of a breach of
protocol and taste) so I inferred that they hired someone else. Now that
I see this post it looks like they still haven't filled the job - I
can't speak to why that was. Fortunately I found a better position for
me so I never contacted them to inquire about their decision.

In short, I thought this job would deal with original materials as well
as print/online/multimedia resources dealing with film aesthetic and
film theory (based on the job posting and the questions I asked in the
phone interview). The job is more of a
managerial/clerical/accounting/acquisition position dealing with
circulating video materials. Honestly I have no idea why an MLS is
required for this job since it's really a clerical position and has
almost nothing to do with actual library-specific work.

Jimi Jones
Project Coordinator,
Audiovisual Self-Assessment Program
Conservation Unit
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801
vox: (217) 244.9901
fax: (217) 333.2630
http://www.library.uiuc.edu/prescons/AVSAP.htm

Joan O'Connor wrote:
> Jimi--Please tell me more. Thanks--Joan

Hofstra University (search re-opened)

>> I applied for this position in February and can give specifics about
the
>> position. Feel free to contact me for more info.
>>
>> Jimi Jones
>> Project Coordinator,
>> Audiovisual Self-Assessment Program
>> Conservation Unit
>> 1408 West Gregory Drive
>> Urbana, IL 61801
>> vox: (217) 244.9901
>> fax: (217) 333.2630
>> http://www.library.uiuc.edu/prescons/AVSAP.htm
>>

>> Gerald A. Notaro wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe because it is a library? Management of any library collection
>>> requires as much experience in the institution as with the items being
>>> collected. Though an MLS doesn't guarantee that, it does, more than
not
>>> requiring it. Seems more than a reasonable requirement to me.
>>>
>>> Jerry

acquisition,bibliographic

as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
producers and distributors.

as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
producers and distributors.

as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
producers and distributors.

as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
producers and distributors.

--=_alternative 005A17D488257337_=

and made a point of not joining the discussion as I was not sure how appropriate
my experience would be to the general conversation as to the relationship
between having an MLS and media librarianship. &nbsp;And I don't think
the original person who raised the issue was picking on the Hofstra position
but just used that ad as a starting point for the conversation. &nbsp;Personally,
I don't find it particularly professional to post such negative comments
about a position on a list like this, and it is certainly not fair to the
fine people I met at Hofstra who are trying hard to fill a position. &nbsp;We're
all in this together.</font>
did not appeal to me personally, but that doesn't mean that this isn't
the IDEAL position for some other person and don't see the point of potentially
discouraging that person from applying.</font>
was much more positive than the one described in this post and I would
be glad, off-list, to provide my insights, but I think the best thing would
be to follow-up on Sarach McClesky's offer to contact her about the position.
&nbsp;She posted it and is in the best position to answer your questions.</font>
Tom Ipri, MS<br>
Head, Media and Computer Services<br>
Lied Library<br>
University of Nevada, Las Vegas<br>
4505 Maryland Pkwy<br>
Las Vegas, NV 89154<br>
702-895-2183<br>
tom.ipri@unlv.edu</font>
and Media Library, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Hofstra University (search re-opened)</font></table>
letter, resume, <br>
references. They did a 30 minute phone interview with me and then flew
me out a month later for an on-campus interview.<br>
The position is mostly an acquisitions and accounting type of job - the
position orders DVDs and VHS tapes for the film library (which is <br>
exactly that - a collection of videos - this is NOT a film theory <br>
&quot;subject library&quot;). There are, if I remember correctly, two FTE
positions under this one that handle reference duties and some other <br>
office stuff.<br>
The pay for the job was, based on my research of Hempstead, inadequate
for living anywhere near Hofstra. Most of the staff I talked to commute
about an hour to an hour and a half each way from the boroughs to the <br>
library each day.<br>
I'm an archivist and work with original materials. I made that clear in
the phone interview but they weren't entirely clear with what this job
was, so I wasn't sure what I was walking into when I did the interview.
My experience of the interview was that I am not a New Yorker and my <br>
&quot;style&quot; is fairly different from that of the interviewers. I
suspect <br>
they were looking for more of a librarian and less of an archivist, <br>
which probably made me a bad fit for the position. Had I been offered <br>
the job, I would not have accepted the offer. They never contacted me <br>
either way after the interview (which is something of a breach of <br>
protocol and taste) so I inferred that they hired someone else. Now that
I see this post it looks like they still haven't filled the job - I <br>
can't speak to why that was. Fortunately I found a better position for
me so I never contacted them to inquire about their decision.<br>
In short, I thought this job would deal with original materials as well
as print/online/multimedia resources dealing with film aesthetic and <br>
film theory (based on the job posting and the questions I asked in the
phone interview). The job is more of a <br>
managerial/clerical/accounting/acquisition position dealing with <br>
circulating video materials. Honestly I have no idea why an MLS is <br>
required for this job since it's really a clerical position and has <br>
almost nothing to do with actual library-specific work.<br>
Jimi Jones<br>
Project Coordinator, <br>
Audiovisual Self-Assessment Program<br>
Conservation Unit<br>
1408 West Gregory Drive<br>
Urbana, IL 61801<br>
vox: (217) 244.9901<br>
fax: (217) 333.2630<br>
http://www.library.uiuc.edu/prescons/AVSAP.htm<br>
Joan O'Connor wrote:<br>
&gt; Jimi--Please tell me more. Thanks--Joan<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt; From: Jimi Jones &lt;jjones7@uiuc.edu&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Sent: Aug 13, 2007 10:07 AM<br>
&gt;&gt; To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu<br>
&gt;&gt; Subject: Re: [Videolib] Vacancy: Director, Film and Media Library,
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Hofstra University (search re-opened)<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I applied for this position in February and can give specifics
about the <br>
&gt;&gt; position. Feel free to contact me for more info.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Jimi Jones<br>
&gt;&gt; Project Coordinator, <br>
&gt;&gt; Audiovisual Self-Assessment Program<br>
&gt;&gt; Conservation Unit<br>
&gt;&gt; 1408 West Gregory Drive<br>
&gt;&gt; Urbana, IL 61801<br>
&gt;&gt; vox: (217) 244.9901<br>
&gt;&gt; fax: (217) 333.2630<br>
&gt;&gt; http://www.library.uiuc.edu/prescons/AVSAP.htm<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Gerald A. Notaro wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Maybe because it is a library? Management of any library collection<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; requires as much experience in the institution as with the
items being<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; collected. Though an MLS doesn't guarantee that, it does,
more than not<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; requiring it. Seems more than a reasonable requirement to
me.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Jerry<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Rick Faaberg wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; On 8/10/07 5:03 AM &quot;Jerry Notaro&quot; &lt;notaro@stpt.usf.edu&gt;
sent this out:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Do you want a librarian or do you want a film/video
expert?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I hope you aren't inferring that they are mutually
exclusive, or that<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; one<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; can't be both.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm not.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I'm questioning why an MLS, that most often has basically
no relationship<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; with video collections, would be required for a video
collection manager.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; think it's MLS folks fortressing their turf. How worthless
is that?<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Rick Faaberg<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively
discussion of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; control, preservation, and use of current and evolving
video formats in<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the
list will serve<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; as an effective working tool for video librarians, as
well as a channel of<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; communication between libraries,educational institutions,
and video<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; producers and distributors.<br>
[...]
between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.<br>
--=_alternative 005A17D488257337_=--