Re: [Videolib] Vacancy: Director, Film and Media Library, Hofstra

Jimi Jones (jjones7@uiuc.edu)
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:57:28 -0500

The application process was fairly typical - cover letter, resume,
references. They did a 30 minute phone interview with me and then flew
me out a month later for an on-campus interview.

The position is mostly an acquisitions and accounting type of job - the
position orders DVDs and VHS tapes for the film library (which is
exactly that - a collection of videos - this is NOT a film theory
"subject library"). There are, if I remember correctly, two FTE
positions under this one that handle reference duties and some other
office stuff.

The pay for the job was, based on my research of Hempstead, inadequate
for living anywhere near Hofstra. Most of the staff I talked to commute
about an hour to an hour and a half each way from the boroughs to the
library each day.

I'm an archivist and work with original materials. I made that clear in
the phone interview but they weren't entirely clear with what this job
was, so I wasn't sure what I was walking into when I did the interview.
My experience of the interview was that I am not a New Yorker and my
"style" is fairly different from that of the interviewers. I suspect
they were looking for more of a librarian and less of an archivist,
which probably made me a bad fit for the position. Had I been offered
the job, I would not have accepted the offer. They never contacted me
either way after the interview (which is something of a breach of
protocol and taste) so I inferred that they hired someone else. Now that
I see this post it looks like they still haven't filled the job - I
can't speak to why that was. Fortunately I found a better position for
me so I never contacted them to inquire about their decision.

In short, I thought this job would deal with original materials as well
as print/online/multimedia resources dealing with film aesthetic and
film theory (based on the job posting and the questions I asked in the
phone interview). The job is more of a
managerial/clerical/accounting/acquisition position dealing with
circulating video materials. Honestly I have no idea why an MLS is
required for this job since it's really a clerical position and has
almost nothing to do with actual library-specific work.

Jimi Jones
Project Coordinator,
Audiovisual Self-Assessment Program
Conservation Unit