RE: [Videolib] Islamic subject areas

Doug Mingle (doug.mingle@films.com)
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:22:31 -0400

Hi Kathy,

Films for the Humanities & Sciences offers some great programming related to
Islamic architecture and culture. To name a few:

"Islamic Mosques" 2005 - $129.95 DVD or VHS (includes public performance
rights) - The mosque's minaret: alongside the dome, there is no more
familiar symbol of a Muslim place of worship. But not all mosques have
minarets-or even domes. This video describes the evolution of the mosque, or
masjid, over time and across cultures by using the mosque at Cordoba, Spain;
the Friday Mosque in Isfahan, Iran; and many others from around the world as
examples. Common elements like decoration with geometric designs and Arabic
calligraphy, the place for ritual cleansing, the imam's podium, and the
niche that signifies the direction of Mecca are presented, along with a
capsule history of Islam's birth and spread. (25 minutes)

"The Battle for Islam" 2005 - $149.95 DVD or VHS (includes public
performance rights) - A far-reaching exploration of Islam after 9/11, this
program follows renowned scholar Ziauddin Sardar on an eye-opening journey
through Morocco, Turkey, Pakistan, Malaysia, and Indonesia. Sardar
interviews Muslims with widely varying political leanings-including
Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf, other government leaders, women's
rights activists, and a cleric who promotes an extremely conservative form
of Sharia. The program exposes the tension between pluralistic and
hard-liner mentalities growing within the Muslim world, and concludes that
moderation and tolerance, rather than zealotry and terror, will ensure the
continued strength of the faith. A BBCW Production. Some interviews are in
other languages with English subtitles. (63 minutes)

"The Ottoman Empire" 1996 - $129.95 DVD or VHS (includes public performance
rights) - The Ottoman Empire, from the sacking of Constantinople to the end
of the 16th century, encompassed Eastern Europe, the Balkans, Algeria,
Lebanon, Egypt, Spain, and Turkey. This program examines the structure of
this empire, from the family to religion and bureaucracy. The role of the
powerful doshan, young Christian peasant boys who were abducted and educated
to serve the sultan, is also discussed, along with the role of women. Maps
and scholarly commentary portray an empire that at its zenith was an
infallible military power dedicated to the spread of Islam, but which also
tolerated a diverse population and many creeds within its boundaries. (47
minutes)

Kind Regards,
Doug Mingle
Media Consultant
Films Media Group/Films for the Humanities & Sciences
www.films.com
800-257-5126 x5795
doug.mingle@films.com

Save the Date!