Re: [Videolib] Islamic subject areas

Linda Hellman (lhellman@optonline.net)
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:26:42 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_gVbsVNEFKNxSL+bFC43Nuw)

4 of the 6 episodes of "Living Islam" are still availalble on VHS from Ambrose Video at the sale price of $10.00 each. Public Performance rights are included. Here is the link to the description on our website: http://www.ambrosevideo.com/displayitem.cfm?vid=285

"A six part series on the Muslim religion sets out to rescue it from the image of dangerous fanaticism. There is, however, no special pleading. Scrupulously detailed and factual." - London Times
"Among the finest, high quality series produced by the BBC." - NAPRA Journal

The collapse of Communism has left two major ideologies competing for allegiance in the world's population: western Democracy and Islam. Yet while the modern world knows well the terror of the fanatical elements of the Muslim religion, how much do Westerners understand about the motives, attitudes and beliefs of Islam?

This series promotes understanding of the areas of confrontation between Islam and Western society. It has been developed as a document of record with an intended life of a minimum of ten years. It is an ideal tool for high school and college curriculums, and a must-have resource for library collections.

VHS Sale while quantities last. Episodes Struggling With Modernity and The Last Crusade are no longer available.

Iraq: The Cradle of Civilization - available as a single video for $10 or as part of the 6 "Legacy: The Originss of Civilization" 6 part series: for $149.99 on DVD. PPR included.After thousands of years as a hunter/gatherer, man built the first cities 5,000 years ago on the banks of the Euphrates in southern Iraq. Civilization began. City life transformed the human race with the glorious cultures of Mesopotamia such as Ur, and Babylon.

These attractively visualized introductions interestingly link ancient civilizations to the present. Rewarding for viewers." - Booklist

"visually stunning, well-researched...it's one journey in time you'll never regret taking." - NY Daily News

Historian Michael Wood stands in the Iraqi desert amid crumbling ruins and dry desolation. He describes a once-thriving metropolis, where merchants brought their goods into the city over a network of lush canals. All that remains is a sea of golden sand, the once-large population drifted away, the complex society vanished. As the world approaches the 21st century, this new series reminds us that other nations and cultures prospered for hundreds or even thousands of years. Now all that remains is the legacy of their civilizations, present and influential in our own.

Shot on location on four continents, Legacy takes a different viewpoint from other series that concentrate primarily on the Western view of history. Visiting China, India, Egypt, the Middle East, Greece and Meso-America, this series traces the rise of both Asian and western civilization.

This series results from an international effort, a co-production of Maryland Public Television and Central Independent Television, U.K. in association with NHK, Japan and the British Museum.

Hosted by historian Michael Wood ("River Journeys") and ("Travels"). Produced by Peter Spry-Leverton ("Making of Mankind") and ("Japan").

Closed Captioned.

Call with questions: 1.888.802.6715

Linda Hellman
Ambrose Video Publishing,Inc.