RE: [Videolib] Islamic subject areas

Elizabeth Stanley (Elizabeth@bullfrogfilms.com)
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:29:45 -0400

Kathy,

I am writing to recommend a program from Bullfrog Films that the
professor may want to consider on Islamic culture, Afghanistan urban and
rural communities, women in Islamic culture:

Return to Kandahar (2003, 65 minutes, DVD or VHS, $250, includes public
performance rights)
Nelofer Pazira, the star of the movie "Kandahar," returns to Afghanistan
to seek out her childhood friend Dyana, whose story inspired that film.
Landing in Kabul 13 years after her family left Russian-occupied
Afghanistan, Nelofer unravels her past and the history of her country
while searching for Dyana; the epic journey takes her to Kabul, Kandahar
and Masir-e-Sharif, where Dyana's uncle last had contact with her
family.

Nelofer journeys across a broken land smashed by war with the Russians,
years of anarchy under the Northern Alliance, the Taliban, and now by
America's "war on terror." Incisively weaving Nelofer's personal story
with that of Afghanistan itself, RETURN TO KANDAHAR shows a country once
again in the grip of warlords.

http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/rtkan.html

Let me know if you have any questions. We do offer a free preview for
purchase evaluation.

Best,
Elizabeth Stanley
Bullfrog Films