Re: [Videolib] Vacancy: Director, Film and Media Library, Hofstra University (search re-opened)

Christine Godin ()
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1690503702-1187011518=:50976

And most academic libraries where the librarians have faculty status will demand that degree. Perhaps we need to lean on the graduate programs to include more courses on media management and collection. I can't recall any from my program except an AV course for school librarians.

Christine Godin

"Gerald A. Notaro" <notaro@stpt.usf.edu> wrote:
Maybe because it is a library? Management of any library collection
requires as much experience in the institution as with the items being
collected. Though an MLS doesn't guarantee that, it does, more than not
requiring it. Seems more than a reasonable requirement to me.

Jerry

Rick Faaberg wrote:
> On 8/10/07 5:03 AM "Jerry Notaro" sent this out:
>
>>> Do you want a librarian or do you want a film/video expert?
>>
>> I hope you aren't inferring that they are mutually exclusive, or that
>> one
>> can't be both.
>
> I'm not.
>
> I'm questioning why an MLS, that most often has basically no relationship
> with video collections, would be required for a video collection manager.
> think it's MLS folks fortressing their turf. How worthless is that?
>
> Rick Faaberg

> producers and distributors.

--0-1690503702-1187011518=:50976

film/video expert?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; I hope you aren't inferring that they are mutually exclusive, or that<BR>&gt;&gt; one<BR>&gt;&gt; can't be both.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I'm not.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I'm questioning why an MLS, that most often has basically no relationship<BR>&gt; with video collections, would be required for a video collection manager.<BR>&gt; I<BR>&gt; think it's MLS folks fortressing their turf. How worthless is that?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Rick Faaberg<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of<BR>&gt; issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic<BR>&gt; control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in<BR>&gt; libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve<BR>&gt; as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of<BR>&gt; communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video<BR>&gt; producers and
distributors.<BR>&gt;<BR><BR><BR><BR>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>&#32;
<hr size=1>Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48252/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC"> mobile search
that gives answers</a>, not web links.

--0-1690503702-1187011518=:50976--