RE: [Videolib] Vacancy: Director, Film and Media Library, HofstraUniversity (search re-opened)

Fri, 10 Aug 2007 07:55:45 -0700

All,

While ALA certainly has a poor track record when it comes to recognizing
the importance of video (and they are certainly not alone in this), the
Video Round Table has, in the past few years, had some good discussion
groups, panels and events that have helped to at least bring video a bit
more into the forefront (The notable videos group, the panel on
streaming video two or three years ago, the discussion on similar topics
at Midwinter a couple years ago and the preconference on copyright this
last June, to name a few).

ALA is not going to change overnight, nor is it going to happen without
work on our part. I would encourage those of you who aren't to consider
joining VRT to help us move in the right direction (from the survey on
video librarians that was recently circulated, we found that only half
of those that responded were on Videolib, and only a quarter were
members of VRT).

Thanks,

mb

Michael Brewer