RE: [Videolib] Ok I FOUND the ALA handout on "movie night"

Gena Zelenka (gzelenka@park-ridge.lib.il.us)
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:53:48 -0500

And it was during this particular ALA (in my hometown Chicago) that
Milos Stehlik of FACETS gave a talk and basically said this:

Milos Stehlik of Facets Multimedia based here in Chicago told the group
they should PICKET the ALA for their lack of foresight and understanding
about the huge importance of the moving image. Media literacy is the
DOMINANT issue today. He said the ALA is focused on print and needs to
expand, as it is NOT in the world of the visual image. There is nothing
in the conference schedule that addresses digital technology changes.
The ALA needs to CONNECT with the public where they are at and currently
that is the moving image. We, as media librarians, must help raise
consciousness of the VITAL importance of film and video in our society
today.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone wanna take him up on it
next ALA? Brush up on your Saul Alinsky....

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 9:55 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Ok I FOUND the ALA handout on "movie night"

When this thing was first put out by ALA I had a long and fairly
unpleasant
discussion with the author of the piece (a woman whose name I have since

forgotten). As I recall she ended the conversation by saying that "we
agreed to disagree", at which point I informed her that I didn't agree
at
all...the information was wrong. Period.

It's one thing for ALA to have ignored film and video for the last 50
years, it's another to spread disinformation about their acceptable use
in
libraries.

Gary

UC Berkeley