Re: [Videolib] copyright education

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:12:54 -0400

I think it is great too but the institutional packages and their direct to
individuals ( as in no retail sales for a year or more) is an interesting
model but kind of unique and limiting. I have no idea if they make any money
or even break even but they way they have it set up, they basically bypass
both theatrical showings and the wholesale video market. They take a whole
lot of very good but in essence very uncommercial films. Don't get me wrong
I think it is wonderful that these films find a home and people see them but
when we negotiate for the rights to a film if we tell a sales agent that we
plan to not open it theatrically and just sell it straight to consumers and
institutions, we would not be able to acquire the already small films that
we do manage to afford.
Bottom line is that it works ( or I hope it does) for many films which
literally would not have been available in the US but it is not really a
formula for films which do want both theatrical play and timely home video
release.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International