Re: [Videolib] copyright education

MichaelMay.5652831@bloglines.com
8 Aug 2007 22:33:47 -0000

I like Film Movement because they sell quality DVDs with one-time public performance
rights for about $30 to $40 each. I wish more companies or vendors could offer
similarly-priced order plans for libraries, especially for critically acclaimed
or notable films.

--Mike in Dubuque

--- videolib@lists.berkeley.edu wrote:

Dear Sarah,

> I absolutely agree about this and I looked over the Film Movement
web

> page. Since we have a new website in its initial design stages, I've

> asked our desinger to add a page on how to obtain a peformance

> license.
I do think that Film Movement's is okay but can be improved

> upon -- for
example, it doesn't differentiate between an

> institutional/classroom purchase
and a public performance purchase,

> and I think links to non-profit sites
that explains PPR and what

> rights institutions have and don't have with
films is necessary these

> days. If any of you have suggestions about what
our page should

> include, please email me directly!

> Dennis

> Milestone
F&V

wrote:

> > Maybe because I work at both an academic library and a public
library I

> > am a little bit sensitive about this topic, but has ALA offered
the

> > copyright information at PLA meetings?

> > Public librarians
are now expected to be able to answer questions about

> > fair use for K-12
teachers, plan programming using films at their

> > libraries, and respond
to inquiries for use of videos from public

> > organizations or groups.
Unfortunately, library schools don't seem to

> > provide much guidance in
this area either.

> > Publishers and distributors often don't realize
how basic they have to

> > make information in order for library staff to
comprehend it. Film

> > Movement's page is one example of very clear instructions:

> > http://www.filmmovement.com/performancerights/ which may explain why
it

> > is popular with public libraries.

> > Sarah Andrews

> > Access
Services Supervisor

> > Hardin Library for the Health Sciences

> > University
of Iowa

> > phone 319/384-2883

On Behalf Of Brewer, Michael

> > Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 6:43 PM

> > To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

> > Subject: RE: [Videolib] Cool complaint
against those misrepresenting

> > copyright

> > All,

> > In response
to Dennis, ALA's Office of Information Technology Policy

> > has, for 2 years
in a row now, held a session (more of a series of

> > poster sessions) on
copyright for librarians. Fair use has been

> > addressed by Dwayne Buttler
(JD) from the University of Louisville. We

> > also deal with Section 108,
ILL, Electronic Reserves, International

> > copyright, Section 110, Current
legislation (Orphan works, etc.), etc.

> > It has been pretty popular and
I think we've done a pretty good job.

> > Clearly the people you mention
in your post have yet to attend.

> > mb

> > Michael Brewer

> > Slavic Studies, German Studies & Media Arts Librarian

> > University
of Arizona Library