Re: [Videolib] Cool complaint against those misrepresenting copyright

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.edu)
Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:52:14 -0700

Both this case and the situation that Dennis described are the reason there needs to be some serious copyright reform. Both extremes are not helping anyone. The law may stay the same, it may get more stringent or become more lax, but what it really needs to be is rewritten in such a way so that no one needs a legal education to understand it. It is almost as bad as trying to figure out pass interference rules in the NFL. Copyright impacts all of society and the laws regarding it need to be written clearly and understandably, so John Q. Public knows exactly what can and can not be done. If there are purposely gray areas in the law, it needs to say as much, as in this area is open for interpretation (for it must remain flexible), but this other area is black and white (for somethings just do not change).

On a side note, I did just read somoething interesting, some economist did a study and found that the optimum length of copyright (in terms of getting money out of something) is roughly 14 years.

jhs

>>> Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com> 08/07/07 2:40 pm >>>
Then again, I want to vent because I had two libraries this week tell
me that they scheduled showings of THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED
(notices on their website and in the local newspapers) because "all
silent films are public domain" and "we tried to find the copyright
holder, but we couldn't find one."

The fact that they were both showing our DVD with the proper copyright
notices on it as well as our website address, (800) number and email
address on the DVD makes me wonder how honest people are these days.

The casual concept that everything is fair use unless you're caught is
one that really should be addressed by the ALA at the same time
libraries' legal rights are ever discussed.

Dennis
Milestone Film & Video

--
Best,