Re: [Videolib] Cool complaint against those misrepresenting copyright

Dennis Doros (milefilms@gmail.com)
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:40:05 -0400

Then again, I want to vent because I had two libraries this week tell
me that they scheduled showings of THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED
(notices on their website and in the local newspapers) because "all
silent films are public domain" and "we tried to find the copyright
holder, but we couldn't find one."

The fact that they were both showing our DVD with the proper copyright
notices on it as well as our website address, (800) number and email
address on the DVD makes me wonder how honest people are these days.

The casual concept that everything is fair use unless you're caught is
one that really should be addressed by the ALA at the same time
libraries' legal rights are ever discussed.

Dennis
Milestone Film & Video

--
Best,