Re: [Videolib] Foreign Film Question

jwoo (jwoo@cca.edu)
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:25:25 -0700

--Apple-Mail-19-839494968
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

Victor: here's ALA's guidelines regarding circulation of "home use"
videos

http://www.ala.org/ala/alalibrary/libraryfactsheet/
alalibraryfactsheet7.cfm

Janice Woo, Director of Libraries
California College of the Arts
5212 Broadway Oakland CA 94618
510.594.3660 || jwoo@cca.edu || library.cca.edu

On Jul 20, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Victor Stover wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Our library purchased a copy of Twenty-Four Eyes, a film
> distributed by Panorama Distributions in Hong Kong. The DVD case
> has the following language:
> "The copyright proprietor has licensed the film (including its
> sound track) comprised in this videodisc for private home use
> only. All other rights are reserved. The definition of home use
> excludes the use of this videodisc at locations such as Clubs,
> Coaches, Hospitals, Hotels, Oilrigs, Prisons and Schools. Any
> unauthorized copying, editing, exhibition, renting, exchanging,
> hiring, lending, public performance diffusion and/or broadcast of
> this videodisc or any part thereof is strictly prohibited, is an
> infringement of copyright and any result in legal liability. This
> videodisc is sold / hired on the condition that it is not be sold,
> hired, exported, re-supplied or distributed by way of trade without
> a proper license from the copyright proprietor."
> Should I be worried about this? Would this prevent us from adding
> it to our circulating collection? Has anyone else ran into this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Victor Stover
> Acquisitions Assistant
> Oesterle Library
> North Central College
> Naperville, IL
> 630-637-5702 (voice)
> 630-637-5716 (fax)

--Apple-Mail-19-839494968

Victor:=A0 here's ALA's = guidelines regarding circulation of "home use" videos

http://www.ala.org/ala/alalibrary/libraryfactsheet/alalibraryfa= ctsheet7.cfm

Janice Woo, Director of = Libraries
California College of the Arts
5212 = Broadway Oakland CA 94618
510.594.3660 || jwoo@cca.edu || = library.cca.edu

On Jul 20, 2007, at 1:02 = PM, Victor Stover wrote:

=
Hello All,

Our library purchased a copy of = Twenty-Four Eyes, a film distributed by Panorama Distributions = in Hong Kong.=A0 The DVD case has the following language:
=
"The copyright proprietor has licensed the film (including its = sound track) comprised in this videodisc for private home use only.=A0 = All other rights are reserved.=A0 The definition of home use excludes = the use of this videodisc at locations such as Clubs, Coaches, = Hospitals, Hotels, Oilrigs, Prisons and Schools.=A0 Any unauthorized = copying, editing, exhibition, renting, exchanging, hiring, lending, = public performance diffusion and/or broadcast of this videodisc or any = part thereof is strictly prohibited, is an infringement of copyright and = any result in legal liability.=A0 This videodisc is sold / hired on the = condition that it is not be sold, hired, exported, re-supplied or = distributed by way of trade without a proper license from the copyright = proprietor."
Should=A0I be worried about this?=A0 Would = this prevent us from adding it to our circulating collection?=A0 Has = anyone else ran into this?

Thanks,
=A0
=
Victor Stover
Acquisitions Assistant
Oesterle = Library
North Central College
Naperville, IL
630-637-5702 = (voice)
630-637-5716 (fax)

= --Apple-Mail-19-839494968-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.