Re: [Videolib] MPLC

Linda Duchin (linda.duchin@newyorkerfilms.com)
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:29:21 -0400

THE LIVES OF OTHERS* VOLVER* BAMAKO* AN UNREASONABLE MAN* BLACK BOOK* =
CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER*THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY * WHO KILLED =
THE ELECTRIC CAR
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Christine Godin=20
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu=20
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:27 PM
Subject: RE: [Videolib] MPLC

This begs the question. Does this $200 license give your college the =
right to check out a video from your collection and show it for an event =
like Hispanic Heritage month? To a large group? The license is not =
necessary for any one individual who wants to view the film, in or out =
of the library.=20

Below is the text of email I got from an inquiry placed to MPLC.

Dear Ms. Godin:=20

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the MPLC Umbrella License. =
Unfortunately, for performances on a college campus, MPLC can only =
offer a list of faith-based, religious and family values producers. We =
suggest that you contact the following: Criterion at =
www.criterionpicusa.com - (800) 890-9494 or Swank at www.swank.com - =
(800) 876-5577. They will be able to provide you with public =
performance rights for your exhibition. I apologize that we could not =
be of more help. If you have any further questions or concerns, please =
do not hesitate to contact me at (800) 462-8855.=20

Yours truly,=20

Joyce Wilson

"Kazlauskas, Diane" <dkazlaus@unf.edu> wrote:
They are aware that we are an academic library and that our feature
films are available to the student body and may be viewed by =
individuals
(not shown) in the library.

And MPLC is aware that you are not a public library and that you're
showing
films that are open to the entire student body?
Linda Duchin
Vice President, Non-theatrical Sales
New Yorker Films
85 Fifth Avenue, 11th Floor