Re: [Videolib] COPYRIGHT, performing music

Grace J. Agnew (gagnew@rci.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:57:14 -0400

--------------040503080501010603070702

The Center for Social Media at American University spearheaded the
development of best practices for fair use of resources in
documentaries. At least one court opinion upheld use of a challenged
resource because it conformed to the best practices. CF:
http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/resources/fair_use/

Grace Agnew

--

Grace Agnew

Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems

Rutgers University Libraries

47 Davidson Road

Piscataway, NJ 08904

732-445-5908

732-445-4888 (fax)

--------------040503080501010603070702 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> The Center for Social Media at American University spearheaded the development of best practices for fair use of resources in documentaries.  At least one court opinion upheld use of a challenged resource because it conformed to the best practices.  CF: http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/resources/fair_use/

Grace Agnew

Chuck McCann wrote:

A student is creating a documentary of material that she wants to use commercially of which she has intellectual rights for -- all of the material is stuff that she video taped, etc...

QUESTION: She wants to video tape herself performing a song on her guitar, the song was written and produced by someone else. I'm pretty sure she has full rights for her rendition of the music and lyrics -- but can some on point me to the copyright statute that talks about this?

Thanks!!

Chuck McCann
Dept. Head, Digital Media Center
Florida State Libraries
"Ask A Media Librarian" AIM account/e-mail: cmccann@mailer.fsu.edu
http://www.lib.fsu.edu/dlmc/dmc
850.644.3094 or 850.644.5924 VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.

--
Grace Agnew

--------------040503080501010603070702-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.