RE: [Videolib] Survey Results -- Continued Discussion

Chris McNevins (Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu)
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:18:25 -0400

Re: George Eastman House/UR see:
http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=1810

Also:

"In 1996, The L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation was
founded in order to provide the next generation of archivists with the
training and techniques necessary to continue the work of film
restoration in the new millennium. The school offers a one-year
Certificate Program, and the two-year Selznick Graduate Program in Film
and Media Preservation in partnership with the University of Rochester.
The Selznick School is the first of its kind to provide a comprehensive
and intensive training program within the archive environment, thus
giving students hands-on experience in all aspects of film handling,
conservation, curatorial matters, programming, and both photochemical
and digital restoration."
http://www.eastmanhouse.org/inc/collections/motion_picture.php

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Dennis Doros
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 5:02 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Survey Results -- Continued Discussion

> Re: Michael's post -- It would be wonderful to see classes in video
> librarianship at library schools. Does anyone know of any currently
> in the curricula or that have been taught in the past?

I don't know about classes for media librarianship, but there has been a
recent addition of various MA film/video archival degrees in the US
this past ten years, including NYU, UCLA, University of Texas,
University of East Texas (the oldest) and my personal favorite, George
Eastman House, which can also be taken as a one-year certificate program
or a masters with either Univ of Rochester or RIT (can't remember
which).

I don't know of any librarians who have done one of these, but I think
it would be incredibly valuable and should be suggested on every media
librarian website.

--
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video