Re: [Videolib] What is a librarian?

Christine Godin (diractor@yahoo.com)
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1748013852-1184391527=:76334

So, Gary, we are on the same page. What I don't want is the age-old MLS vs. non-degreed librarian discussion we've been having ad nauseum since I graduated in 1971. I AM interested in what goes into making a true video librarian. Since there seem to be very few courses in graduate library science programs that address this, I suspect most come to it from a specialization point of view. LIke government documents librarians.

When my husband graduated from Simmons, twenty years after I gained my degree, there was a course aimed at studying "images" and their collection.

My own understanding and interest comes from an undergraduate course I had in Introduction to Film and from auditing some graduate courses at Iowa in media studies (we watched a lot of "meaningful" television).

If I were hiring a video librarian, I would be more interested in their specific background and experience than with the actual M.L.S. (or some variation of that). At my institution, however, our librarians are faculty and we require an ALA accredited master's degree. It opens up a huge can of worms (picture those in David Lynch's version of Dune).

Christine Godin
ghandman@library.berkeley.edu wrote:
beg to differ, Christine

I think this list is exactly the place to debate the issue apropos to
video/media librarianship

gary

> I think this is a valid question and open to debate. I don't think this
> list is the place unless one wants to debate the desired
> experience/education/qualifications for a VIDEO or MEDIA librarian.
>
> Just my $.02
> Christine Godin, M.L.S., M.A. (theatre) in Dec. 2007
> College library director and primary selector for media
> Northwest Vista College
> San Antonio, TX
>
> deg farrelly wrote:
>

> Gary Handman wrote:
>>
>> Oh, by the way, at the risk of being labelled reactionary and
>> backward-looking, in regard to your statement: Most (87%) video
>> librarians
>> hold a Masters in Library or Information Science. A handful hold only an
>> Associates or Bachelors (3%),
>>
>> in my neck of the academic woods, there's no such thing as a librarian
>> without an MLS. In light of my statement above re the instability of the
>> professional specialization, I'm wondering if this is such a musty
>> notion,
>> after all. I think we need all the creds we can bring with us.
>

> A post to the Collection Development listserv just inquired about
> questions
> to ask library technician applicants, who will have responsibility for
> selecting and deselecting materials.
>
> (This was for a public library, and not related to media)
>
> I have to ask... What is the need for librarians, if such key essential
> functions of librarianship are being done by technical staff.

> producers and distributors.
>

> ---------------------------------
> Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user
> panel and lay it on us.

UC Berkeley

--Guy Debord

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
--0-1748013852-1184391527=:76334

primary selector for media<BR>&gt; Northwest Vista College<BR>&gt; San Antonio, TX<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; deg farrelly <DEG.FARRELLY@ASU.EDU>wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Gary Handman wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Oh, by the way, at the risk of being labelled reactionary and<BR>&gt;&gt; backward-looking, in regard to your statement: Most (87%) video<BR>&gt;&gt; librarians<BR>&gt;&gt; hold a Masters in Library or Information Science. A handful hold only an<BR>&gt;&gt; Associates or Bachelors (3%),<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; in my neck of the academic woods, there's no such thing as a librarian<BR>&gt;&gt; without an MLS. In light of my statement above re the instability of the<BR>&gt;&gt; professional specialization, I'm wondering if this is such a musty<BR>&gt;&gt; notion,<BR>&gt;&gt; after all. I think we need all the creds we can bring with us.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; A post to the Collection Development listserv just inquired about<BR>&gt; questions<BR>&gt; to ask
library technician applicants, who will have responsibility for<BR>&gt; selecting and deselecting materials.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; (This was for a public library, and not related to media)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I have to ask... What is the need for librarians, if such key essential<BR>&gt; functions of librarianship are being done by technical staff.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of<BR>&gt; issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic<BR>&gt; control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in<BR>&gt; libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve<BR>&gt; as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of<BR>&gt; communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video<BR>&gt; producers and distributors.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ---------------------------------<BR>&gt; Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please?
Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user<BR>&gt; panel and lay it on us.<BR><BR><BR>Gary Handman<BR>Director<BR>Media Resources Center<BR>Moffitt Library<BR>UC Berkeley<BR><BR>510-643-8566<BR>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<BR>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC<BR><BR>"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life<BR>presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles."<BR>--Guy Debord<BR><BR><BR>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and
<hr size=1>Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! <br><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48223/*http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow">Play Monopoly Here and Now</a> (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
--0-1748013852-1184391527=:76334--