Re: [Videolib] What is a librarian?

cmccann@mailer.fsu.edu
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 00:09:59 -0400

And on the notion of "beg to differ" and freedom of speech in pursuit
of not letting the future sneak up on us -- does a university library
really need to have a librarian running a Digital Media Center? There
is a natural aversion to asking this question, true, nevertheless we
should consider it head-on because I think it?s going to be more and
more of an issue as we move along into the twenty-teens and into the
century. Libraries are partnering more and more with campus technology
to provide and maintain these sorts of services. Campus Technology
divisions already employ people with the skills to do what Media and
Video librarians do in regards to media literacy and collection
development ? librarians do much more though research and
local/national involvement but apparently this can be an affordable
traded off because it comes down to 'user needs". The next question is
this -- how can shape this notion of re-structuring the job
descriptions of Media/Video Librarians, to add a positive light, with
our unique and specialized skills in areas of creating, re-purposing,
delivering, and teaching and research, and more? We might find
ourselves in more senior or upper management sort of roles coordinating
our old media centers new library additions like faculty and
undergraduate production learning commons parts of the library. Or even
moving beyond academia (gasp!!) No rest for the weary ? we can push the
envelope or it will push us. Just my 2 cents of the topic.

This might be a new thread :\

Quoting ghandman@library.berkeley.edu: