Re: [Videolib] What is a librarian?

Christine Godin (diractor@yahoo.com)
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1116432066-1184381491=:75861

I think this is a valid question and open to debate. I don't think this list is the place unless one wants to debate the desired experience/education/qualifications for a VIDEO or MEDIA librarian.

Just my $.02
Christine Godin, M.L.S., M.A. (theatre) in Dec. 2007
College library director and primary selector for media
Northwest Vista College
San Antonio, TX

deg farrelly <deg.farrelly@asu.edu> wrote:

Gary Handman wrote:

> Oh, by the way, at the risk of being labelled reactionary and
> backward-looking, in regard to your statement: Most (87%) video librarians
> hold a Masters in Library or Information Science. A handful hold only an
> Associates or Bachelors (3%),
>
> in my neck of the academic woods, there's no such thing as a librarian
> without an MLS. In light of my statement above re the instability of the
> professional specialization, I'm wondering if this is such a musty notion,
> after all. I think we need all the creds we can bring with us.

A post to the Collection Development listserv just inquired about questions
to ask library technician applicants, who will have responsibility for
selecting and deselecting materials.

(This was for a public library, and not related to media)

I have to ask... What is the need for librarians, if such key essential
functions of librarianship are being done by technical staff.

--0-1116432066-1184381491=:75861

academic woods, there's no such thing as a librarian<BR>&gt; without an MLS. In light of my statement above re the instability of the<BR>&gt; professional specialization, I'm wondering if this is such a musty notion,<BR>&gt; after all. I think we need all the creds we can bring with us.<BR><BR><BR>A post to the Collection Development listserv just inquired about questions<BR>to ask library technician applicants, who will have responsibility for<BR>selecting and deselecting materials.<BR><BR>(This was for a public library, and not related to media)<BR><BR>I have to ask... What is the need for librarians, if such key essential<BR>functions of librarianship are being done by technical staff.<BR><BR><BR>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list
will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>&#32;
<hr size=1>Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48516/*http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7 ">Join Yahoo!'s user panel</a> and lay it on us.

--0-1116432066-1184381491=:75861--