[Videolib] Survey Results -- Continued Discussion

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:19:31 -0400

--------------070709040708050803080500

I'm glad this data is sparking some conversation! And, for the record,
I didn't detect any grumpiness in your post, Gary -- I share your
concern about both issues, but as far as the first point goes, I echo
Michael May's comment questioning folk's ability to retire, say, /ever/
given the increasing student debt load (not just the student loans, but
the increasing dependence on living off credit, etc.), spike in cost of
living, and the low salaries librarians earn relative to other
professional positions. Thank goodness for 403b's! But, I am
especially concerned about my colleagues in public libraries -- I can
think of at least a few off hand who run themselves ragged by splitting
their days between two part-time librarian positions with no benefits on
either side of the fence.

Re: Michael's post -- It would be wonderful to see classes in video
librarianship at library schools. Does anyone know of any currently in
the curricula or that have been taught in the past? I know that in my
relatively recent experience with LIS at UIUC, there weren't any
offerings that specific to video librarianship. I was fortunate enough
to have two wonderful prof's (a husband and wife emeritus / emerita
team, the Hendersons, who any fellow UIUC alum will likely know) who
allowed students to investigate their own specific interests within the
broader context of the courses (thinking specifically of a preservation
class and a tech services class), so that I was able to do projects on
film preservation, media censorship issues, the implications of ratings
and fee structures for media in public libraries, etc. There were so
many varied classes that choosing those that would give me a solid
foundation to be a generalist made it impossible to take all the
elective classes I was interested in, so I'm wondering if another tack
might be to somehow encourage library prof.'s and instructors to provide
more open ended assignments (like the ones I mentioned above) that might
lend themselves to 'media-flavored' customization.

Best,

Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware